Flying over water?

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Still learning to fly my P3 pro, so trying to play it safe...
Right now however, I'm at a beach for several weeks, and desperately want some shots of the scenery.

How should I fly the bird, going from the shore, out over the water and back? Do I use GPS all the time? Disable vision positioning? Atti mode? Switch between modes as I approach/leave the water?

I know its a newbieish question, but I seem to find conflicting advice...

Any tips much appreciated...

Kind regards,
Mike

You don't need to change any settings when flying over water. Just keep your Phantom away from the surface of the water and all should function just as it does when you fly over land.

If you must fly very close to the surface of the water for some reason, then disable the downward sensors and keep your Phantom within your eyesight (so you can visually fly it).

Avoid contact with the water and you'll be fine.

Any adjustments you may decide to make while you approach/leave the water are just more likely to result in a mishap.

Still learning to fly my P3 pro, so trying to play it safe... Right now however, I'm at a beach for several weeks, and desperately want some shots of the scenery. Any tips much appreciated..
Welcome to the forum Mike!

Obviously, don't take off or land from the sand. Also, if it were mine I would not calibrate the compass on the beach. I probably would not calibrate the compass at all unless I had traveled around the world to get to that beach. If that were true, I might find a safe place (not magnetically influenced) away from the beach to calibrate once for the duration of the vacation.

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike65

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj