Flying over the sea, seals, and rocks in New Zealand

Reaction score
We took our Phantom 2 out over the coast of Kaikoura, New Zealand. Luckily managed to catch some seals in the FPV screen... and somehow managed to evade the army of seagulls which took offense to our flights.[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1JkbUvlAXk[/youtube]

@ Andrey320 The seals seemed to be totally fine with the whole thing, and didn't really draw any reaction, aside from looking up to see what the noise was. However, it was windy, and there were waves crashing all around, so maybe I just didn't notice them.

@adelaar Thanks. We actually got lucky on that one. We were aiming for a different outcropping of rocks, but the local seagulls had no patience for our exploaration, so we filmed this rock as a consolation prize.

Most sea mammals dont appear to be concerned with small drones as long as you stay 20-30 m away. Plenty of whale, dolphin and seal footage around to confirm this. DJI Inspire One's are being used in whale research to collect blowhole eruption samples for scientists in the Pacific & I think Alaska, the humpbacks dont seem to care that these drones are hovering nearby, no noticeable behavioural changes nor distress.

Very nice...
Would love to got there sometime...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik