Flying over public reservoirs

Reaction score
I am looking to see if any regulations or restrictions exist on flying over public water sources. There is a beautiful reservoir by my work and would like to take a flight and check it out but as usual am looking to make sure its kosher. A search in google yielded nothing. If it makes any diff I am located in the northeast. Thanks.

You have several resources at your disposal... the first place would be at an FAA Sectional (paper or online) to determine what Airspace it is and if there are any Airspace restrictions (TFR, Special Use, Military etc). If you're good to go then you just need to look at a sUAS ap to make sure there's no National Park Service Land because you can't fly "from/on" NPS land (but you can legally fly OVER it but that's a whole other topic).

Next you need to look locally for any Land Use restrictions in play and lastly you just look around the area and make sure it's not "marked" as no Drone/sUAS operations allowed. Make sure the land you're flying from, physically standing on, parking on etc is not private property and if it is you'll want to make sure it's ok with the property owner.

So you need to research:

• Federal restrictions (Airspace, TFR, etc)
  • State/local Gvt Restrictions (Land Use Laws)
  • Visible Signage at location
  • Property Ownership

I am looking to see if any regulations or restrictions exist on flying over public water sources. There is a beautiful reservoir by my work and would like to take a flight and check it out but as usual am looking to make sure its kosher. A search in google yielded nothing. If it makes any diff I am located in the northeast. Thanks.
Where is it? and where will you be flying from?

Reactions: BigAl07
You have several resources at your disposal... the first place would be at an FAA Sectional (paper or online) to determine what Airspace it is and if there are any Airspace restrictions (TFR, Special Use, Military etc). If you're good to go then you just need to look at a sUAS ap to make sure there's no National Park Service Land because you can't fly "from/on" NPS land (but you can legally fly OVER it but that's a whole other topic).

Next you need to look locally for any Land Use restrictions in play and lastly you just look around the area and make sure it's not "marked" as no Drone/sUAS operations allowed. Make sure the land you're flying from, physically standing on, parking on etc is not private property and if it is you'll want to make sure it's ok with the property owner.

So you need to research:

• Property Ownership

If it’s a reservoir that they pull public drinking water from, the government body that controls it may be a little leery/ cautious, but as stated above it’s best to check before you fly.

If it’s a reservoir that they pull public drinking water from, the government body that controls it may be a little leery/ cautious, but as stated above it’s best to check before you fly.

The Army Corp of Engineers and TVA do not allow take off and/or landing on the property they maintain. But, as BigAl07 says in post #2, YOU are responsible for knowing what airspace you are in.
(TVA- Tennessee Valley Authority)

So you need to research:

• Property Ownership
I would add checking directly with the agency that manages the reservoir, but otherwise this is exactly what I do and I haven’t gotten dinged yet.

I just learned that here in Colorado, Federally managed water reservoirs do not allow drones to take off or land within there property boundaries but do allow drones to fly over them. State and local parks pretty much follow the same rationale, exceptions include parks than contain model flying fields within them and then flying is constrained to the designated flying area.

Reactions: FlyingGary
In my state Connecticut you can NOT fly over public water supply lakes it is prohibited.I have to call the regional water company police chief for permission.I often search for lost pets on their property but I need to inform them.They will arrest you and take your drone.In this case FAA should have it on their list of no fly zones.You could be dropping stuff in the water so you can't fly over it.I didn't know that until I asked to search on land and said I might put a drone up.They freaked out and I had to call the chief .As it turns out they are great I have a key and the combination to all their gates.You can call and ask but I'm not sure what they will say.

In my state Connecticut you can NOT fly over public water supply lakes it is prohibited.I have to call the regional water company police chief for permission.I often search for lost pets on their property but I need to inform them.They will arrest you and take your drone.In this case FAA should have it on their list of no fly zones.You could be dropping stuff in the water so you can't fly over it.I didn't know that until I asked to search on land and said I might put a drone up.They freaked out and I had to call the chief .As it turns out they are great I have a key and the combination to all their gates.You can call and ask but I'm not sure what they will say.

Appreciate the feedback. Unlike govt controlled airspace I am not sure states or towns can restrict where I fly just where I take off and land. I took a 107 prep course and it was made clear states do not control airspace and therefore can not regulate flight. I will take the advice of previous comments and verify airspace restrictions, ensure that not NSP or other federally controlled or restricted zones and go from there. Sectional maps are my weakest area in this whole thing which is why I have not yet gotten my commercial license but this may be good practice. Thanks again.

Is the body of water a federal property? If not I am not sure how the state can impose restrictions on federal airspace. I know they like to try, like so many they are ignorant and or scared of drones for no good reason other than to try and exercise some control. I will see what comes up from my map search and who actually owns the water source.

So you need to research:

• Property Ownership

Appreciate the detailed feedback will definitely use that as my checklist. I bought the drone to explore and be spontaneous this nonsense of having to deal with contradictory rules really takes the fun out of it. I understand airspace, land use for takeoff and landing and property ownership as it relates to federal assets but again in general from what I was taught and have read once airborne states and towns have no say where I fly. Unless the FAA has the airspace restricted it is open and available at least thats what the regs say. It would be nice if everyone got on board instead of deliberately making things confusing. Any good resources out there one can read and stay abreast of this evolving nonsense?

Professional or hobbyists here is a good tip to not puss off anyone.If it is a fenced in area's and it has no trespassing posted you should avoid it.If you want to make a YouTube video arguing you right to fly over it because the FAA has not restricted it.Then you can go that route.I have been flying searching for 4 years on all types of government and private property.I always try to get a hold of whoever controls it.I have been allowed to fly where others can not and with no watching over my back for security personnel.You will enjoy flying more when you have the owners permission.Granted because of the nature of searching they may have vent the rules for me.Just taking pictures they may not be so permitting.You will learn over time when you ask they appreciate your respect for them and more than not will allow you to fly.Offer free pictures helps too.?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj