Flying over a closed power plant?

Reaction score
I know we're not supposed to fly over power plants when they are operational but how about after they're closed? I found a thread from a couple of years ago. The OP flew over one and ended up having a conversation with police but they didn't give him a hard time.

Nothing against the police but I don't think a lot of them know the laws and guidelines. Drones are becoming more popular but they are still kind of new. They deal with traffic laws daily. Probably hardly ever come across a drone incident in a small town.

Nothing against the police but I don't think a lot of them know the laws and guidelines. Drones are becoming more popular but they are still kind of new. They deal with traffic laws daily. Probably hardly ever come across a drone incident in a small town.

You'd be surprised. Some are very up to speed as of lately. Also the FAA has gotten pretty aggressive and efficient at issuing memo to LEA about sUAS operations.

What could it hurt? Local LEO is who is going to get the call to begin with anyway.

Reactions: DMcNamara
I know we're not supposed to fly over power plants when they are operational but how about after they're closed? I found a thread from a couple of years ago. The OP flew over one and ended up having a conversation with police but they didn't give him a hard time.

Fall River area?

Sounds like you’re afraid of the answer.

Phantoms have been around for ~5 years now along with lots of drone press coverage.

I’m sure they’ve heard of them and may own or know someone who does.

Reactions: BigAl07
Sounds like you’re afraid of the answer.

Phantoms have been around for ~5 years now along with lots of drone press coverage.

I’m sure they’ve heard of them and may own or know someone who does.

I really don't care what the answer is :) I figured I'd ask here because of the great amount of knowledge about where we should and shouldn't fly.

Many feel its better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
If you ask and the police say no then what?
You do it anyway knowing it’s verboten and hope not to get caught, or, if caught, simply ask for forgiveness.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Inactive plants are private property and trespass could be an issue. A polite conversation with site security or the utility might alleviate any headaches

I do work for our local police dept and you are correct they know nothing regarding UAV use or rules. It's not in there jurisdiction this is FAA and the police only get involved if there is a complaint or injury.

I second what ETC said. I am recently retired from a State Police agency, and they have no idea about State or Fed. Laws concerning drones. What is worse the agency attorneys have mis -interpreted the state law as it regards LE use of drones so they are not utilizing drones as an agency asset.

Your statement is too broad. I’m sure that’s true for some but not all.

Isn’t public safety one of LEOs prime directives?

Last edited:
I too am a retired LEO command officer. You can talk about the FAA sending out guidelines all you want. The only reason my agency knows anything about drones is because, since I own a couple, I made sure we were up to speed and wrote policy on the matter. The majority of police could care less about the FAA guidelines. The reasoning is LEO's have enough on their plate without doing a federal agencies work for them. Public safety always comes first, however, flying over a closed power plant that most likely uses minimum wage security (if at all) would not be a concern unless you'd have to jump the fence to recover your drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4