Flying out of visual range

Reaction score
Of. Yesterday I got over the. Fear of flying over water. However there was water in both sides of me and trees between me and the water. Not many trees but enough to where I could not see the drone physically. Even though it was only 10 feet away. I'm trying to know what is best to do in this situation. Take a look at photo below. Look at trees. I just don't know What to do for fear of crashing if I'm spending solely on video.
5e7af641d0697951c39b76d89c208d1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Forgive the typo. iPhone correction at work.

No. I was in regular mode. I wanted to set some way points. But I could not see any thing except on the iPhone.

They call this flying fpv. You have to be careful because there is some lag in the video feed.

Best thing you could do is find some spot where you can still have LOS (line of sight). Flying fpv is fine when your high but down low you could miss something and hit it.

I mean it's your bird and your repair costs heh. And your not even using a tablet it's super easy to end up not seeing something and hit it. Find a way to get LOS and it's much safer

Yes. I do have a tablet. But I'm flying over water so no fear of hitting anything. About 100 feet up. The problem is there are trees between me and the water. Only about 20 feet high. Which means I can't see it with the naked eye. Jut scares me. I will put my tablet on a tripod I guess and look that way. Will take the thing. Over the Gulf of Mexico in Florida to test range. (Stock) I did go over some water today. But k could still see it.

I want to fly over water but I am just afraid to loose the quad. If the lakes around here were frozen enough to walk out and get it I would but it hasn't been cold enough this year.

Ok here's a video. See the tiny patch of land I have to stand on? Water both sides of the street. But trees both side of street as well. Which prevents me from seeing the bird via LOS. However if I'm understanding correctly. Using my tablet. (Fpv) and say a windsurfer. I should just go up say 200 feet. Aim the windsurfer I. General direction of bird and look at it via fpv on my tablet. My fear is when I went s little distance today. My video feed was choppy at points. Is it because of the iPhone? Or should I just use tablet. Because I was only about 250m away in distance. But as you can see. Lots of power lines. And cell phone towers in area. Although small patch of earth.

Never can upload video here. Always says network error. Picture then.
84d3ac108b6ca6a2e82f71982bf270f0.jpg

Never can upload video here. Always says network error. Picture then.
84d3ac108b6ca6a2e82f71982bf270f0.jpg

Nice pic. I guess in Florida you can just swim out to get your bird if it goes down... do you gave a "getter back" or any other kind of float on your quad?

Not yet. Nothing On there. Just always have a pucker moment over the water. Is there a way to out A url here for the video feed? Let me look.

Wow. Thanks. I will order that right now. I'm guessing it is easy to install. Hehe. This hobby is becoming work. But for sure I want it back if I lose it. :). Trying once more for the video.

Attachments

• 199.jpg
    199.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: Tony Cowan
Wow. You went all out with this Marco Polo. I'm guessing it's useless if it hits the water. But great in heavy forested area. Wow. Is that the little black thing on the right landing gear?

Wow. You went all out with this Marco Polo. I'm guessing it's useless if it hits the water. But great in heavy forested area. Wow. Is that the little black thing on the right landing gear?

Yea the Marco Polo is the black item. In my area there is no cell phone signal so a normal gps tracker is not going to work for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj