Flying near radio station? Yay or nay?

Jacob said:
Just check the Dji manual and public statements, they don't recommend it.
The DJI manual also says to take off gently, when most of us acknowledge that a slow takeoff will likely end in a tip-over.

I've been on this forum long enough to realize that when a users only 3 posts are all to bash you and provide very little response to the topic, it usually is a member who was banned previously. This is your warning.

Just a thought, I have seen radio masts will all sorts of other things bolted on. I can recognise a microwave transmitter and a cell phone transmitter so know they can be up there.

Whether these would increase the chance of interference could be debatable, but worth considering.

CasualObserver said:
Jacob said:
I would say nay. If you do, be prepared (If not already) to fly in atti. then manual mode.

Based upon many of your responses you have very little, if any, practical experience flying a Phantom is various environments.

How much experience do you really have?

You can not judge a person by the number of posts they have that means nothing .

Just for the record, "CasualObserver" has been banned. Not only was he posting with the sole purpose to start arguments, but he was also posting under repeat accounts and each person is only allowed one.

I am a broadcast engineer and regularly fly around my own towers and antennas that are transmitting 50,000 watts and up without issue.

The one thing I watch out for, however, is microwave antennas on the tower. Ours operate in the 6, 11 and 18 GHz region, nowhere near the 2.4 GHz frequency the Phantom uses, but why take a chance?

Guy wires are the biggest hazard, as they're hard to see and judge distance to. I've found the best way to avoid guy wires is to stay in the 120-degree area between wires and not fly around the tower except when above it. If the Phantom is between you and the tower and you can see the sky behind the Phantom, you're good. If you see tower behind the Phantom, not so good.

The only safe way to get close to the tower is to stand right under the quad so you can see how much distance there is between the Phantom and the tower. That means looking straight up which is never comfortable for long, but without depth perception in FPV or with visual spotting you're taking a real chance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1