Flying near LOTS of steel

Reaction score
I understand I have to calibrate my compass a good distance away from metallic objects. But once calibrated, what about flight near steel like tanker ships, locomotives and huge solid steel bridges?

Can I safely fly near them (25 to 50 feet) without worrying about the phantom getting disoriented?

I don't think gps would be affected but not 100% sure about the compass needs during Go flights, or even planned a Litchi missions.

Phantom will always get disoriented if you fly near strong magnetic fields or materials. If you are a regular flyer, you will quickly notice a changed behavior and don't go further close. There is no guideline for maintaining a known distance from such areas except that if you feel little loss of orientation, go away from that zone.

I understand I have to calibrate my compass a good distance away from metallic objects. But once calibrated, what about flight near steel like tanker ships, locomotives and huge solid steel bridges?
Can I safely fly near them (25 to 50 feet) without worrying about the phantom getting disoriented?
I don't think gps would be affected but not 100% sure about the compass needs during Go flights, or even planned a Litchi missions.
DJI_0443a-X2.jpg

Tankers?
Compass issues all depend on how close you get.
If you stay far enough away to photograph the whole ship, you will have no problems.
If you want to get in very close that could be a different matter.
GPS won't be affected unless you block the Phantom's view of the sky.

Beautiful ship, and in the far distance, is that a buoy or Wilson. I heard they never found him. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, I went and just flew between the spans of the Mississippi River bridge at Natchez and I didn't lose it in the drink or as a flyaway.

I also chased a tugboat and got some wonderful video at 75 ' above the water above the boat. Unfortunately I have no clue how to shrink the video enough to fit here. Even after editing it to 1 min 15 sec it is still 81mb. [emoji957]

I was a good quarter mile away before I could get the compass to calibrate. It was also hard to see 1700 feet away and 200 feet up above the cantilever span, even with my wife working binoculars.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers