Flying near a military base?

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I'll give it a go. There is an event next weekend at a recreation center that I want to film/video. I already have permission by the event coordinator and staff of the event. There will be lots of people and 4 live bands. The issue is this, the event is taking place on the very outside edge of a NFZ (military base). The surrounding area has 140' trees and I would keep it below the tree tops. More than likely 120' and below. And of course I wouldn't fly it over people. I live near the event location and know the layout well so I have several ways and places I can shoot from without putting a hazard in play. Ultimately my question is this, would I still need to file a flight plan? If so, with whom? Because I honestly do not know if the FAA guidelines are the same for military airbases as they are for civilian commercial airports. I do not have a part 107, although I am studying for it. I'm not filming this for any other persons other than myself. (not profiting from this) Any help would greatly be appreciated. I just want to keep everything legit. I'm one of those crabby old guys who shakes my head when I see idiots with drones doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.

This may depend on which "base" you are speaking of. Yes, the FAA, being a government agency, and within the confines of the US, have authority in that airspace. But, you have to remember that "military" airspace, is a bit different, and can get quite "obscure" in the manner the FAA works with any given area. That said, personally, if it were that important to you, I would contact someone at the base, either in ATC or, in another area, and state your purposes.

Thank you> The base is part of Joint Base Lewis Mc Chord (JBLM) in Tacoma WA

I agree with F-Dawg and would add that it depends on the local authorities definition of 'near'. Hobbyists are not to fly over or near government facilities.
I, me, would not rely on DJI software, geo-fencing, Apps. or the like to determine such allowances.

Just to clarify, it would definitely not be "over" any government facility and it's actually over 3 miles from it. But if one uses the 5 mile radius from UAV Forecast app, it's on the edge of it. Technically I can't fly in my yard because of the same base, but I have done hover tests after working on a drone (10-20' in the air). I found the number online for the JBLM ATC Chief and left a message, we'll see if he gets back to me.

Agreed with you guys, military installations are more heavy than civilians airports because the military have specialized equipments or airplanes and needs more privacy and airspace. I will contact the base just to make sure that they are aware.

Agreed with you guys, military installations are more heavy than civilians airports because the military have specialized equipments or airplanes and needs more privacy and airspace. I will contact the base just to make sure that they are aware.
So if you contact the base, and let them know your intentions and (if they ask) give them specifics about location, time frame, altitudes etc. they have the ability to give you authorization? I'm new to the whole "asking permission" thing. Not because I typically fly outside the law, but because I typically fly way out in the boondocks where there are no people, airports etc. I mostly film naturalist stuff. Forests, rivers, mountains and the like.

So if you contact the base, and let them know your intentions and (if they ask) give them specifics about location, time frame, altitudes etc. they have the ability to give you authorization? I'm new to the whole "asking permission" thing. Not because I typically fly outside the law, but because I typically fly way out in the boondocks where there are no people, airports etc. I mostly film naturalist stuff. Forests, rivers, mountains and the like.
Well not just the authorization but to let them know that the person will be flying close to the base. In case they spotted a drone flying around. By the way, I am like you... I only film the nature, rivers, beaches and marina locations.

Reactions: Skookum
Just to clarify, it would definitely not be "over" any government facility and it's actually over 3 miles from it. But if one uses the 5 mile radius from UAV Forecast app, it's on the edge of it. Technically I can't fly in my yard because of the same base, but I have done hover tests after working on a drone (10-20' in the air). I found the number online for the JBLM ATC Chief and left a message, we'll see if he gets back to me.

Did you end up filming this event? And did the ATC chief ever get back to you??? I'm curious how this played out for future reference.

Did you end up filming this event? And did the ATC chief ever get back to you??? I'm curious how this played out for future reference.
More than happy to update you on this. So I did not film the event. But not due to anything "air traffic". I was told no by the assistant superintendent of the county parks and rec system. Said it was an insurance and liability issue, which I understand. In regards to the military base, I called JBLM (joint base Lewis McChord) air traffic control chief and he called me back 2 days later. He was very pleasant to talk to, seemed knowledgeable of the drone rules and asked for the location, time, and date of operation and told me to have fun. He stated that they physically log sUAV pilot info at the tower in case we need to be contacted. He gave me his full name and position and told me to write it down in case I needed it for verification. It was much easier and painless than I thought it would be. He also stated that there has been a surprising number of calls in regards to flight ops near the base. Probably because of situations like mine. Lots of parks in the area with everything from music festivals to hydroplane races.

Reactions: BigAl07
More than happy to update you on this. So I did not film the event. But not due to anything "air traffic". I was told no by the assistant superintendent of the county parks and rec system. Said it was an insurance and liability issue, which I understand. In regards to the military base, I called JBLM (joint base Lewis McChord) air traffic control chief and he called me back 2 days later. He was very pleasant to talk to, seemed knowledgeable of the drone rules and asked for the location, time, and date of operation and told me to have fun. He stated that they physically log sUAV pilot info at the tower in case we need to be contacted. He gave me his full name and position and told me to write it down in case I needed it for verification. It was much easier and painless than I thought it would be. He also stated that there has been a surprising number of calls in regards to flight ops near the base. Probably because of situations like mine. Lots of parks in the area with everything from music festivals to hydroplane races.
Awesome! Thank you. I don't foresee having this issue but I do work in our nation's largest military town with the company that builds all our subs and right down from that where all the helicopters get repaired. So I try hard to stay clear from these areas. Nice to know the phone call was pleasant and accommodating.

Really glad to hear that your exchange with the Military was positive. I personally believe that the military and the general public including local governments are beginning to realize that Drones are here to stay and that for the most part are being flown in a responsible manner by most pilots and those who take flying serious will follow the guidelines set forth by the FAA. Much has changed since 2014 when I bought my first Phantom 2, HD-3D. It took one heck of a learning curve in order to fly it. A far cry from the MAVIC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr