Flying Manual Mode

Reaction score
Ok, please, somebody, what is it like flying manual mode? I've read tons of back and forth about how you should know how to fly manual, but I've never seen a video or read a good, well reasoned explanation of what it's like, how to do it, or how to take those first baby steps without killing the Phantom.

Best I can do is imagine going to a large, deep grassy field (which I have) getting into nice stable hover, taking a deep breath, touch my magic Grateful Dead totem, and pull the switch. Hope for the best?!!

I've hovered a jet ranger, and it's the most intense single task I've ever tried in my life. :ugeek: They say it's like balancing a basketball on your nose, and that's a pretty apt description in my experience. Is it the same with a multi-rotor?

How about it? Can somebody step up to the plate with a good primer for flying manual, or a least what to watch out for when the hammer comes down on that right switch?

Take baby steps and learn to hover just slightly off the ground. In manual mode you have to counter every move. Similar to learning your jet ranger, just don't go lifting it up high and thinking it'll be easy, so easy to flip it over in manual mode.

BruceTS, thanks for the reply. My post wasn't just for myself, I hope, because I do have enough RC background to do this, and I will. Like I said, though, I think it would be stupid to flip the switch to manual without having a clue as to how it's going to behave. If you're new at flying RC altogether, then I think it's a disservice to advise someone that they have to fly manually before they use the auto functions without following through and helping them with what to expect and how to proceed.

I'm assuming the major problem is that attitude mode isn't about how the Phantom feels about the situation, rather that you no longer have the benefit of auto-leveling, so it's going to want to fall off of level. Then it does that, it will move in that direction and keep moving. Also, I imagine it's going to keep tilting to one side further and further and move faster and faster unless you counter it. Beyond that, I suppose if you over correct, you're pretty much toast unless you can counter it with just the right opposite stick, which is chancey close to the ground. I anticipate that the greatest danger is the same as flying in any mode, that is, having the craft start to get out of control and having the situation spiral out of control from anxiety.

There, that's my set of instructions. Maybe now somebody will now jump in and correct me.

My favorite thing to do is go in one direction as fast as I can, then push the stick full in the opposite direction and watch it make a quick stop, listening to those blades strain from the sudden reverse in direction :D

Seriously if you stay low and go slow, crashes aren't as painful, especially if your running stock props, you'll most likely not even break one. Get the feel of just giving it a slight amount of stick to start moving, then applying the proper amount to level back again and come to a hover.

Good idea to learn basic control in manual mode, just in case you experience a flyaway.

I suspect there are lots of us who would like to know more about manual flight control characteristics, especially since activating that option via the NAZA assistant software is required and since this *appears* to be a way to regain control following onset of a runaway Phantom. Certainly its something to try, but I'd want to have practiced this mode before an emergent situation arises.

I've flown small 3-axis gyro stabilized quads that do not auto-level. If you apply pitch or roll, these craft will remain in the new attitude until/unless you explicitly counter that change in attitude. Returning sticks to center does not cause the craft to auto-level (the way a Phantom does in Atti mode). Is that the behaviour of the Phantom in manual mode? If not, can someone explain more clearly the craft's response to specific inputs?

Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4