Flying low and slow within 5 miles of an airport.

Reaction score
I see countless videos online of people flying in areas that are within 5 miles of an airport. Everything from large commercial airports to tiny municipal ones. In most of these videos they seam harmless, flying very close and under 100 feet just taking video of stuff like in a local park. I always hear the 5 mile rule but there seams to be countless examples of people still doing it. Is there some sort of unwritten rule or something I missed, I would love to just go to a local park and fly around in beginner mode, but I think that still technically is not cool?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Call tower(if they answer the phone)and let them know you are flying and below the 400ft

I have tried the stupid airport never answers my call. Do I ask for permission? or do I just tell them I'm flying below 400 and see what they say?

• Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.
You call to notify, not ask permission.
If there is an active TFR they will let you know you can't fly till the TFR is lifted.

• Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.
You call to notify, not ask permission.
If there is an active TFR they will let you know you can't fly till the TFR is lifted.
Ok thanks. Follow up questions, what if no one answers ever! There is a small commercial airport that has regular small passenger planes, I assume there is a TFR most of the time going on( more than 5 miles from my house). The local municipal airport has a skydiving school mostly on the weekend but never fly more than a mile or 2 from the airport I have noticed, but they never friggin answer. That's the one I really need to answer so I can go fly down the coast by my house.

Take a drive down and talk to them. They should give you a game plan type clearance like stay below X and away from Z and we don't care.

That's a good idea, I was thinking about that but thought it would be writers. Think I will try it now. Thanks

I flew over a water park when it was empty and half of the park was in restricted airspace and when I would get close to the red circle it would let me know and If i did enter the red circle it would tell me that I'm in restricted air space but I was still able to fly. Even though I wasn't even close to the airport I was a little nervous flying in the restricted area so I would try and fly around the red circle but I was still able to fly.

I finally got ahold of him and he requested I email him back with my intended flying areas and my craft info. It sounded like he would be giving me the ok, and he just wanted something on record.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20