Flying Indoors = No FAA rules?

Reaction score
The title says (asks) it all. If you're under a rooftop, the FAA is out of the picture correct?

That's correct.

Is this a serious question?
I cannot imagine that the "airspace" within our homes could be considered part of the national airspace.

Well thinking bigger, I suppose you could be asking about an arena or gymnasium.
In that regard, I would say that if it's a public structure, either open on the sides or fully enclosed, then the airspace would be regulated by the FAA.
Just my guess though...[emoji52]

I would say that if it's a public structure, either open on the sides or fully enclosed
The FAA does not regulate the airspace inside of private/public structures.

Thanks for the feed back guys. And thanks Mike. The reason I'm asking is I'm considering making an indoor course for non-VLOS training, night missions, FPOV racing, testing experimental aircraft, and whatever else I can think of. :)

It does however bring up an interesting question:
If you want to use your drone for commercial purposes but ONLY fly under rooftops: Say for instance you are using them for security patrols in a large warehouse..... Do you need a FAA cert? Hmm...

If you want to use your drone for commercial purposes but ONLY fly under rooftops: Say for instance you are using them for security patrols in a large warehouse..... Do you need a FAA cert?
Again -- the FAA does not control indoor activities. That means they cannot require you to have a license to fly indoors either.

Indoors is Indoors. It's not part of the national airspace.

They governing body would be the owning entity.

Pretty cut-n-dry.

Reactions: BigAl07
Keep this in mind.... the FAA's single goal is National Air Space safety. Inside is not National Air Space and so long as the structure is not open to the outside (ie open top arena etc) then you're not playing in National Air Space.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik