Flying indoors and rain?

Reaction score
So I was thinking... There are two locations I'd love to fly my phantom.

1. This is an easy one, since having a AR Drone 2.0 with an indoor hull, I really like the idea of having a hull to place on top of the Phantom that protects the props from walls.

2. Then I was thinking, I'd really like to fly the Phantom in the rain.

So... Any ideas? Phantom Umbrella? Clip-on shields for the props?

Anyone tried any of this successfully or unsuccessfully? Any tips?

DomKane said:
So I was thinking... There are two locations I'd love to fly my phantom.

1. This is an easy one, since having a AR Drone 2.0 with an indoor hull, I really like the idea of having a hull to place on top of the Phantom that protects the props from walls.

2. Then I was thinking, I'd really like to fly the Phantom in the rain.

So... Any ideas? Phantom Umbrella? Clip-on shields for the props?

Anyone tried any of this successfully or unsuccessfully? Any tips?
One of their videos tell you it's fine to fly in the rain

I have successfully flown in rain but for only about 5 minutes one time, and another was just spitting. She acted fine, but the video has water spots on the Gopro housing. Nothing acted weird either, she cut right through the rain and wind like a champ.

DomKane said:
Whut? Really? Have you got a link to this? Aren't the copper wires exposed in the motors? :s

But if so, that's amazing! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HkNOM6TiU#!
2:20 yeah another sales pitch to have your stuff fly off and buy another one. Yeah I flew it in the rain several times before it full throttled off on its own during one of it's stress free flights. The videos they put out should warn you to open the thing up first and look at their speed controllers before you dump water all over them. I bought in to the BS

general rule : water & electronics don't mix. sure, it's fine to fly her in a sprinkle, but not in actual rain. but even in a sprinkle, I would be cautious with water shorting the electrics.

as for the prop guards, they've been highlighted at the NAB in LV. suppose to be available for purchase sometime during summer (mid may i believe is what he said but they were over due by 2 months just for the spare shells so i'm not holding my breath).

auck said:
general rule : water & electronics don't mix. sure, it's fine to fly her in a sprinkle, but not in actual rain. but even in a sprinkle, I would be cautious with water shorting the electrics.

as for the prop guards, they've been highlighted at the NAB in LV. suppose to be available for purchase sometime during summer (mid may i believe is what he said but they were over due by 2 months just for the spare shells so i'm not holding my breath).

Interesting! Yeah I notice in that video it's a really light sprinkle, but I'm surprised they even showed/said that much! I'm not sure I'd be willing to test mine in the rain, which is why I was thinking some sort of clip-on guards would be great.

As for the indoor guards, that's great to hear they're in the pipeline. TBH flying indoors is mostly way too tricky unless you have loads of space, and then the guards shouldn't be needed, but I'm hoping to do some filming of a specific building some time and I don't want to accidentally shred the walls with my props! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20