Flying in windy conditions questions

Reaction score
Does your phantom 4 get pushed around in windy conditions? If so how windy? And how much does it get pushed? 1 foot. 6 inches. 100 feet?

That's the thing I'm worried about. It's not the wind so much but it's very gusty

I know people have flown in steady 25mph wind too but is it work risking your fav toy?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: John1960
Does your phantom 4 get pushed around in windy conditions? If so how windy? And how much does it get pushed? 1 foot. 6 inches. 100 feet?
I was flying my P4 in strong winds today...didn't get pushed around much a few inches is about all.

By stable do you mean doesn't move position or doesn't move it's body at all? Because I just flew outside and the Phantom didn't really move it's position but was moving around quit a bit

You don't see phantom getting displaced due to wind pressure. It maintains it position and direction within few inches.

Last edited:
30 is a lot. I wouldn't risk that, but 15-18 is no problem so far ime.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not sure how people are stating the wind it coped with so certainly.
You can't go by official reports because winds are extremely variable from one place to the next.
The main thing to be aware is that speeds increase dramatically as you clear obstructions such as trees and buildings.

Here I have a Vantage Pro weather station and if it shows gusts up to 20 mph it's not safe to use it as higher up gusts could easily be twice that.
You might still launch in a sheltered spot and stay rather low but conditions can change for the worse rapidly too.
In short discretion is the better part of valour.
Be patient and cautious and have many more safe flights .

I'm not sure how people are stating the wind it coped with so certainly.
You can't go by official reports because winds are extremely variable from one place to the next.
The main thing to be aware is that speeds increase dramatically as you clear obstructions such as trees and buildings.

Here I have a Vantage Pro weather station and if it shows gusts up to 20 mph it's not safe to use it as higher up gusts could easily be twice that.
You might still launch in a sheltered spot and stay rather low but conditions can change for the worse rapidly too.
In short discretion is the better part of valour.
Be patient and cautious and have many more safe flights .

You are absolutely right that winds vary extremely from one place to the other. My judgement is based on open fields with info taken from a weather app on iPhone. It may be an average or predicted wind but I use that as a reference for my birds safety. By now I can see and guess and use my judgement if I can fly safely in a windy condition. I don't take risks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr