Flying in Vegas?

Reaction score
Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but I am still very new!

I am headed to Vegas this week to shoot part of a documentary and am bringing my Phantom 2, I know the airport is very close to the strip so I'm not sure what the restrictions are with flying on the strip. Does anyone have experience with this or have any warnings that will save me a few years in Guantanamo Bay? ;)

Someone has done it before. There are no laws or regulations stopping you. But in this occasion the cops followed it and found the pilot and just asked that he stop.

Again though, he didn't have to listen.

Boozshey said:
Someone has done it before. There are no laws or regulations stopping you. But in this occasion the cops followed it and found the pilot and just asked that he stop.

Again though, he didn't have to listen.

I really would not advise it without prior permission from lvpd and whatever properties you will be flying over or at least let them know. As mentioned it has been done and I don't really know the details involved since I have never done it but I do know lvpd since I live in Las Vegas.

Vegas has class B controlled airspace to the surface in most all of the metropolitan area. In other words, unless you have ATC clearance, you are not permitted to fly there.

ya dude, as tempting as it is, there is potential for A LOT to go wrong and then ruin it for the rest of us. Even around the canyons and the dam there are A LOT of helicopters and twin otters flying real low doing scenic tours.

not to mention you have Nelis air force base which airspace is encompassed by McCarren. I used to fly twin otters out there, very busy area

ianwood said:
Vegas has class B controlled airspace to the surface in most all of the metropolitan area. In other words, unless you have ATC clearance, you are not permitted to fly there.

I am not fan of flying over crowded areas, however, with respect to the Class B airspace, the Las Vegas RC club's field is inside the Class B area that extends to the surface, and they have never had an issue. They are immediately north of the football stadium on the east side of Vegas.

Having said that, one of the things that was cited in the violation issued to the NYC guy was that he was flying in Class B airspace without authorization. He paid that fine (reduced amount) but set the precedent for the FAA to fine people for flying in CLass B airspace if they choose to do so.

I do not believe that the latest version of the DJI software will allow you to take off in the airport traffic area. I saw somewhere (DJI Assistant?) a map showing the restricted area for each airport. The airport traffic area extends at least 5 miles from the airport.

usaken said:
I do not believe that the latest version of the DJI software will allow you to take off in the airport traffic area. I saw somewhere (DJI Assistant?) a map showing the restricted area for each airport. The airport traffic area extends at least 5 miles from the airport.

Here is the DJI video that explains the safety zones.

Basically around McCarran there is a 1.5-mile radius No-Fly zone. Then, extending out to 5 miles radius is an area with increasing altitude restrictions that start at 35 feet above ground at the edge of the 1.5 mile No Fly zone and slopes up to 400 feet at 5 miles out. Outside 5 miles there are no restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXAMRQoIAA

McCarran's Class B airspace is a bit more complex than a simple ring. You can see that on SkyVector

http://skyvector.com/#47-14-3-4287-3487

It extends to the surface at 6 nautical miles (6.9 miles) from the south around to north of the airport. Then there is a long corridor that goes out to 25 NM (28.8 miles) to the north-northeast, and then it goes out to 10 NM (11.5 miles) from the northeast to about the SE where it cuts in a but for the Henderson Executive airport.

That pretty much covers all of the Las Vegas metro area. So the DJI software will let you lift off 1.5 miles from the airport, but that will still be well inside the CLass B airspace.

SilentAV8R said:
I am not fan of flying over crowded areas, however, with respect to the Class B airspace, the Las Vegas RC club's field is inside the Class B area that extends to the surface, and they have never had an issue. They are immediately north of the football stadium on the east side of Vegas.

That's interesting. I wonder how that works. Do they have their own ceiling and radius? Obviously it's done with prior agreement but still an interesting exception. I am doing most of my flying in urban areas as that is what my current project calls for. Amongst many other safety procedures, I make sure to adhere to any TFRs, stay well clear of controlled air space, and sort of hug the terrain of the buildings so to speak so as not to risk any close calls with LA helicopter traffic (of which there is plenty).

ianwood said:
SilentAV8R said:

That's interesting. I wonder how that works. Do they have their own ceiling and radius? Obviously it's done with prior agreement but still an interesting exception.

Nope, no prior arrangement. There are two main RC fields in Las Vegas, one of which is the one I was speaking of. It has been there a long time and was established by Bill Bennett of Circus Circus and TOC fame. There are many RC fields in Class B airspace. None have any formal arrangements with the FAA that I am aware of. They simply follow a see and avoid policy which has proven to be effective in preventing any incidents.

I am doing most of my flying in urban areas as that is what my current project calls for. Amongst many other safety procedures, I make sure to adhere to any TFRs, stay well clear of controlled air space, and sort of hug the terrain of the buildings so to speak so as not to risk any close calls with LA helicopter traffic (of which there is plenty).

This chart might be of interest to you then:

http://skyvector.com/#47-14-3-4287-3487

TFRs are also shown on the Sky Vector sectionals. Very handy tool.

This is not to do with flying in Vegas center but nonetheless I had to be in Vegas about 2.5 weeks back on business, could have flown Jet Blue but wanted to shoot some video so I decided to drive (LA to Vegas).

What I really wanted are those 3 solar power farms, I stopped on my way out but gusting winds at 30-35 MPH (afternoon) so on my return I get up and leave Vegas at 5:45 AM and made it out to the solar farms about an hour later, fired her up and figured now or never, damnnnnnnn windy at 7 AM?

Still I took her up to about 150 feet and she struggled to hold flight, winds were already at 40 MPH at 150' AGS, scarred the living jesus out of me so hand caught her on my 4 try (it was blowing that strong).

JordanPulmano said:
Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but I am still very new!

I am headed to Vegas this week to shoot part of a documentary and am bringing my Phantom 2, I know the airport is very close to the strip so I'm not sure what the restrictions are with flying on the strip. Does anyone have experience with this or have any warnings that will save me a few years in Guantanamo Bay? ;)

Make sure you bring someone to video your arrest. Seriously......a bad idea that would end badly, and result in making us all (Phantom Pilots) look extremely stupid. As pointed out in numerous posts, between the airport and the Air Base....you just can't do it.

Elginet said:
JordanPulmano said:

Make sure you bring someone to video your arrest. Seriously......a bad idea that would end badly, and result in making us all (Phantom Pilots) look extremely stupid. As pointed out in numerous posts, between the airport and the Air Base....you just can't do it.

Exactly why I took to the forums to ask for advice! I don't think I'll be doing any flying around that area now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers