Flying in the rain

Reaction score
What's people's take on flying your drone in the rain.. don't mean heavy rain but a light shower

It's a bad idea. The Phantom manual warns not to do this too.

I've done it before with no ill results.

Id really like to see a drone hover in front of a high speed camera in rain to see how the props handle the rain and how the wind directs the water.

As a poor man test you can take sheets of heavy dark paper and tape it on most of the body and take it for a quick flight to see where water accumulates.

You'd have to take off and land under a covered structure tho for control testing

+1 on the bad idea.

Others may have done so successfully but can you really compare that to what you may encounter?

Dont do it !

Water and electronics do not mix.

If it crashed you would be liable for gross negligence.

To each their own. Personally, I'd not do it. No reason for me to risk a $1000 device. I can simply wait for a nice day to fly. Also, video/photos probably would not be that great. I think I made a post once showing where a person could put scotch tape over most of the vents and this would help the odds against failure.

I'm sure we've all been caught in an unexpected shower - I know I have or launched those few minutes before all the moisture is out of the air. All it takes is one speck of rain on the camera lens (which happens as it's a vertical surface) and your footage is ruined.

Here's a short clip I made of a windmill in Tralee, Ireland; it was just as the rain was passing and I got a drop of water on the lens. The best footage was ruined, but a bit of tidy editing enabled me to just about pass the wife inspection test. She didn't notice, but I see it every time. Not worth flying in the rain IMHO.

This is the problem with rain flying - drops on the lens. I fly in heavy mist all of the time. Otherwise I wouldn't fly. Sometimes I get good video, sometimes not. The P3 has the upper vents taped off - which also helps keep it a bit warmer and I've not had any problems with the actual aircraft. Water on the lens means you've lost the video. Significant water vapor plays havoc on the radio signals. But the aircraft doesn't seem to care all that much.

I have a Hubsan X4 that I have been flying in moderate rain for quite some time. It still works.....

Obviously this is one of those things that a manufacturer is just not going to recommend. Just like DSLRs (which I also use in the rain). Yes, it is certainly possible to trash things but modern electronics is very forgiving of fresh water. That's how they clean circuit boards after they're made. But from a warranty standpoint, the manufacturer is going to tell you to keep it dry.

I do wipe down all wet surfaces with very clean water after use and dry them carefully. I have Nikon lenses that are 12 years old that have survived in a region that gets over 130 inches of rain a year.

YMMV.

Anything is worth risk.

Most folk on here don't have money to blow. I see it as a hobby to enjoy. If I wrecked mine it's my fault, own it and go buy another one. I didn't buy it to pamper it. I bought it to get the video and shots I need and want.

If you can't afford or are willing to turn around and buy a new one then don't do it. This applies to many situations like rain, snow, wind, lakes, oceans, thunderstorms, ect.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Fly in the house if it's raining.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I'm sure we've all been caught in an unexpected shower - I know I have or launched those few minutes before all the moisture is out of the air. All it takes is one speck of rain on the camera lens (which happens as it's a vertical surface) and your footage is ruined.

Here's a short clip I made of a windmill in Tralee, Ireland; it was just as the rain was passing and I got a drop of water on the lens. The best footage was ruined, but a bit of tidy editing enabled me to just about pass the wife inspection test. She didn't notice, but I see it every time. Not worth flying in the rain IMHO.

Nice video all the same happydays, what kind of video editor did you use ? i am afraid i only have the windows movie maker,

Yes, I agree. It's a sore spot in an otherwise great video. Too bad. You need to have Lens shield wipers. Haha.

Reactions: happydays
Got caught in rain once.. Pointed camera straight down. The drops falling past it looked pretty cool. But my Phantom won't be allowed to risk it again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj