Flying in the Bay Area

Reaction score
I'm heading to the Bay Area this week for several weeks and am thinking about shipping my Phantom out.
I would like to get a few shots of the Golden Gate Bridge from atop the golden gate parkway on the Sausalito side.
Anybody know if there are restrictions in this area?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edunwody said:
I'm heading to the Bay Area this week for several weeks and am thinking about shipping my Phantom out.
I would like to get a few shots of the Golden Gate Bridge from atop the golden gate parkway on the Sausalito side.
Anybody know if there are restrictions in this area?

Thx

I guess you must be talking about the road that goes by the old gun emplacements on the north end of the bridge to the seaward side. If so, it's a great view from up there but maybe a little treacherous Because of the variability of the winds around the terrain, and the close proximity of the abyss of the ocean. In fact, there's enough elevation that it's a pretty good aerial shot from there just from the ground! Other than that, I can't think of any other problems you might have.

That's the place and yes, you are correct on the elevation and wind issues.
Maybe I need to rethink that idea.
After reading this forum, over water may need to wait a bit.

edunwody said:
That's the place and yes, you are correct on the elevation and wind issues.
Maybe I need to rethink that idea.
After reading this forum, over water may need to wait a bit.

I used to live in Sausalito, so I know the area well. The only consistent thing about the weather along that side of the GG bridge is that it is ALWAYS unpredictable! I've stood up there before when the sun was beating down and not a breath of air was moving... then 15 minutes later, the wind is howling and it is hard to stand still. And, it varies as you move around, so it could be calm up top, but as soon as you get out 100 feet the wind is whipping like crazy. You know it's windy when the seagulls give up trying to fight it.

There are many equally scenic spots in the area, so by all means give it a go... but unless you are extremely brave, don't risk your Phantom near the bridge.

Also don't forget that the golden gate is a national icon so I would be vary cautious of flying a phantom around there. Specially with all of the negative hype on anything "drone".

Plus I don't want to get shot down by the coast guard around the bridge.

What was I thinking.

auck said:
Also don't forget that the golden gate is a national icon so I would be vary cautious of flying a phantom around there. Specially with all of the negative hype on anything "drone".

Roger that!

I'm impressed.
Surely that's not a Phantom. To stable and fast.
He flew that completely under the hood.

edunwody said:
I'm impressed.
Surely that's not a Phantom. To stable and fast.
He flew that completely under the hood.

it's a TBS discovery, basically a F450 with a different frame plate.

That's Cavallo Point. I've stayed there several times. Great location.

E

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1