Flying in Restricted Areas

Reaction score
I live fairly close to a Naval Air Station (class D airspace) that is surrounded by multiple restricted areas. I wanted to take some pictures of a lighthouse that is inside one if g he restricted areas (R-4007). I gave the chief of the control tower a call and he sent me a form they came up with to request permission to fly (as a hobbyist - I am Part 107 certified). I submitted the form for flying, and received permission for flying this weekend. There are some limitations (max AGL 300 feet, call the tower 30 minutes prior and at completion of drone operations).... turn around time on the form was about 2 weeks...

Reactions: Falcon900
I live fairly close to a Naval Air Station (class D airspace) that is surrounded by multiple restricted areas. I wanted to take some pictures of a lighthouse that is inside one if g he restricted areas (R-4007). I gave the chief of the control tower a call and he sent me a form they came up with to request permission to fly (as a hobbyist - I am Part 107 certified). I submitted the form for flying, and received permission for flying this weekend. There are some limitations (max AGL 300 feet, call the tower 30 minutes prior and at completion of drone operations).... turn around time on the form was about 2 weeks...
as a hobbyist all you have to do is call them to notify, you don't need to ask permission or fill out any forms and airspace classes are irrelevant, only distance from airports and heliports matters, if you are within 5 miles you have to call. It sounds like what you got was commercial authorization.

as a hobbyist all you have to do is call them to notify, you don't need to ask permission or fill out any forms and airspace classes are irrelevant, only distance from airports and heliports matters, if you are within 5 miles you have to call. It sounds like what you got was commercial authorization.

I think you're confusing Controlled Airspace with Restricted Areas. This is from the CFR:

(a) No person may operate an aircraft within a restricted area (designated in part 73) contrary to the restrictions imposed, or within a prohibited area, unless that person has the permission of the using or controlling agency, as appropriate

SB

I think you're confusing Controlled Airspace with Restricted Areas. This is from the CFR:

(a) No person may operate an aircraft within a restricted area (designated in part 73) contrary to the restrictions imposed, or within a prohibited area, unless that person has the permission of the using or controlling agency, as appropriate

SB
oh yep haha my bad. I am still on my first cup of coffee!

I live near an Army base with a class D airfield. Fortunately it reverts to Class G in the evenings and weekends so I just work around those times

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers