Flying in really remote areas

Reaction score
Hello all, a real n00b here. The wife got me a drone for an anniversary present and flew it for a couple of days and found that the camera was junk so I returned it. I then ordered a P3S which shipped 2 days ago. I'm like a 6 year old kid waiting for Christmas.

I am online everyday reading everything I can about the P3S and having a great time. The tutorial youtubes are also great. Hopefully I will be ready to fly without too many mistakes when it gets here.

I have been on this forum everyday trying to find a thread that answers my concerns.

Now for my questions:
1: Do the prop guards reduce flying time very much? Pretty easy question.
2. This is the question, hopefully, I can get some good feedback:

I live in southern Nevada in the middle of the desert. Wide open spaces to fly without hassling people. But what I really want to do is to venture into the the mountains and explore where it is really difficult to hike. But I think the real drawback is the lack of cell service. I assume that to maintain a wifi connection, one needs to have cell service. Where I intend to fly has no service.
Is it even possible to fly with no service?
Is there a go-around for this type of flying?

In a thread in the Pro/Adv discussion someone said this: "If you are going to a remote location without data you have to pre authorise the location before flying and get code from DJI website." Can anyone expand on this?

Thanks for reading.

Gary

You don't need cell service, the Phantom has its own WiFi. You just link to its WiFi just as you would McDonald's wifi.

Reactions: stubblefield
1. Many say prop guards are a good idea if you're new. Experienced outdoor pilots don't use them. Yes, they will slow your AC down and cause it to sail with the wind.

2. You don't need the internet to fly.

Some locations are restricted drone zones and you need to get "authorization" to fly. Because if you don't, you will find that your motors won't start up. If you have internet, no problem. Get the authorization and fly. But if you're in the dessert with no internet, you will have to go back home. That's why you want to thoroughly check out the area you want to fly first so that there are no mishaps. And if the area requires authorization, you can get it in advance.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: gvsukids
1. I've never used prop guards as I couldn't see the point.
2. You don't need cell service. The phantom wifi is free standing and you can go pretty much anywhere. Select it from your wifi options when everything is connected and away you go.

In a thread in the Pro/Adv discussion someone said this: "If you are going to a remote location without data you have to pre authorise the location before flying and get code from DJI website." Can anyone expand on this?
That is a reference to the GEO system. See more details here.

Colored ones make it easier to see in the air. Pop off design lets you fit drone in carry case. A breeze is more likely to use up more air time than the few grams the plastic adds. Also should work as a snow shoe in deep snow up on Mt Charleston.

No, wifi service is provided by the drone, it has it's own ssid broadcast. you connect to it on phones wifi points. Cell service would be used to pull down maps for background. You can cashe them at home. I bought an iphone 5s on black friday, and it hasn't been activated, so has no service. So SIRI is very upset now, and won't talk to me. But connects to house and drone wifi fine.

I guess they restrict blank areas as can't fly zones. In case you try and fly over area 51 which doesn't even exist, so can't be blocked by gps location.
I don't see where you would enter a code to override the software, but I have never tried to fly into restricted airspace, so maybe it pops up with an override dialog box.

Just CHECK PROPS are tight every flight. over a canyon, or cliff edge, and it's a LONG way down you loose one.

And HARD backpack, if going into the wild, you will be getting the backpack some wear and tear. Thorns and cactii will eat cloth ones alive.

Last edited:
THANKS ALL! I didn't see any references about the stand alone wifi. That is great. I think I'll forgo the guards.

Colored ones make it easier to see in the air. Pop off design lets you fit drone in carry case. A breeze is more likely to use up more air time than the few grams the plastic adds. Also should work as a snow shoe in deep snow up on Mt Charleston.

No, wifi service is provided by the drone, it has it's own ssid broadcast. you connect to it on phones wifi points. Cell service would be used to pull down maps for background. You can cashe them at home. I bought an iphone 5s on black friday, and it hasn't been activated, so has no service. So SIRI is very upset now, and won't talk to me. But connects to house and drone wifi fine.

I guess they restrict blank areas as can't fly zones. In case you try and fly over area 51 which doesn't even exist, so can't be blocked by gps location.
I don't see where you would enter a code to override the software, but I have never tried to fly into restricted airspace, so maybe it pops up with an override dialog box.

Just CHECK PROPS are tight every flight. over a canyon, or cliff edge, and it's a LONG way down you loose one.

Sounds like you're in the LV area. I'm NW from Vegas. And I don't want to get even near all the no fly zones around the area. Scouting canyons and old mines.

One other point about the guards I forgot to mention is that they make your AC visible at a further distance which is beneficial as far as VLOS limits.

Reactions: microraptor
I live and fly my P3S in the New Mexico desert mapping El Camino Real trail and documenting other historic sites such as mines, ancient Indian pueblos, and ghost towns. It's a pleasure to fly the Phantoms in the desert as you don't have to worry about those pesty trees, oceans, tall buildings, etc. (or people) that claim so many. I regularly fly 5,000-6,000 feet on my flights with no issues, which I attribute to the thinner air at altitude, clear LOS, the dry climate for less attenuation to the wifi signals, and usually no interference from other wifi networks. I do not use prop guards. I also recommend you learn to hand catch your Phantom, as landing on the desert can kick sand up into your motors. I've had to replace two motors that seized with sand. Research the area well, as you'll be flying FPV from the video monitor, as the Phantom disappears at about 800 ft. distance. You'll also find the desert looks completely different from 100-400 ft. altitude and you can discover things you just can't see from the ground. Happy flying!

It's a pleasure to fly the Phantoms in the desert as you don't have to worry about those pesty trees, oceans, tall buildings, etc.

stupid oceans....

It would be cool to not have to worry about people for a change, I have to say.

I'll have to bring my P3 the next time I do one of those desert races in the Mojave

I live and fly my P3S in the New Mexico desert mapping El Camino Real trail and documenting other historic sites such as mines, ancient Indian pueblos, and ghost towns. It's a pleasure to fly the Phantoms in the desert as you don't have to worry about those pesty trees, oceans, tall buildings, etc. (or people) that claim so many. I regularly fly 5,000-6,000 feet on my flights with no issues, which I attribute to the thinner air at altitude, clear LOS, the dry climate for less attenuation to the wifi signals, and usually no interference from other wifi networks. I do not use prop guards. I also recommend you learn to hand catch your Phantom, as landing on the desert can kick sand up into your motors. I've had to replace two motors that seized with sand. Research the area well, as you'll be flying FPV from the video monitor, as the Phantom disappears at about 800 ft. distance. You'll also find the desert looks completely different from 100-400 ft. altitude and you can discover things you just can't see from the ground. Happy flying!

Great info about desert flying. My P3S is now heading west out of Cisco TX on the FedEx truck and can't wait for its arrival.
Do you have the provided antenna or after market extender? And thanks for the great tip about hand catching the P3S. Would never have thought about that. How about flying into canyons or around hills, do you lose connection quickly? Any other thoughts and tips for desert flying would be great. BTW, I assume to get off pavement to get close to where you want to fly and getting off pavement means bumpy and not so good two tracks. What case do you have? Or do you think most any of them would be good?

Getting the P3S gives me another reason to get out "there".

Great info about desert flying."

Thank you. Here's a few more thoughts for you and your answers, though likely boring and not applicable to many.

My P3S is purely stock, no mods, only the first update after I got it over a year ago. I now have 4 batteries for those extended excursions.

I have flown in canyons and over mesas (where most Indian pueblo ruins are), up hard rock mountains (where the mines and dwellings are), but always remember to keep your Phantom line-of-sight (LOS). Doesn't mean you have to see it, but there has to be a clear path between you (the RC control unit) and the Phantom. Otherwise, you will loose signal and an RTH (hopefully) initiated to bring it home. But if you're in a twisty canyon and lost it around a rock corner or cliff, it will likely smack into it trying to come home.

Always set your RTH altitude to clear the highest obstacle in your area. For example, I often fly over a 300+ ft. high mesas, meaning the Phantom is around 400+ ft. high from takeoff (altitude = 0). If I push it too far away, I might loose LOS and signal, initiating RTH. If your RTH altitude is say 200 feet, the Phantom may slam into the mesa or mountain trying to return. These altitudes, etc. may have to be changed from flight to flight depending upon your terrain.

I have flown in temps well above 100 degrees F (37C) with no problems and always avoid flying in winds around 20 mph or more. You can get updrafts off the hot desert that can cause the Phantom to fight a bit trying to maintain altitude, but nothing extreme. Avoid "dust devils" :-( Always keep an eye on your battery consumption and bring it home before it hits critical level or beyond the point of no return. For me, I bring it home around 35% to be safe.

I also often get compass errors when in hard rock canyons, on top of lava, etc. due to magnetic effects of the mountains. Doing the compass dance before the flight always corrects the error. Also in deep, narrow canyons, your window of the sky gets very small, meaning you will likely loose GPS satellites and it will drop into manual ATTI mode, which flies much different from the P-GPS mode (learn to fly in ATTI in a big, open field!). Stay mindful of that.

Access to most of my areas are often many, many miles off-road, some 2-track paths or up an arroyo (dry stream bed) for which I use my trusty 92 Sidekick 4WD. I bought one of those cheap open backpacks for carrying the Phantom, which allows you to strap it down with the props on. Most hard cases require you to remove the props, not to mention bulky. I just lay the back pack with Phantom on the back seat which keeps everything together and have never had a problem with vibration effecting anything (with the gimbal lock in place, though). I cover it with a plastic trash bag to keep it clean from trail dust (like talcum powder around here). The backpack is nice if you need to hike in a ways. I launch the Phantom off the engine hood, even though slightly slanted, with no problems. Keeps from launching it in the sand or dusty dirt. I'm sure you know to take along a friend, as venturing into the desert by yourself can be deadly if you get bit by a snake, break your leg, or fall into an unmarked mine shaft. On long trips, a second vehicle for safety is prudent. Don't carry a displayed rifle or gun. That gets people you run into real nervous, like BLM or Forest Service rangers or a rancher thinking you're really out there hunting.

Always ensure all your batteries, the RC, your mobile device are charged. I've ruined a couple of trips getting there, only to find I forgot to charge the mobile device (have a cigarette lighter cord now). You feel pretty stupid. But if you want to really feel stupid, get to your flight area and realize you left the SD card at home! I now have a spare SD card taped to the bottom of the RC.

Members of this forum have posted some amazingly beautiful videos of their regions from castles, beaches, tropical forests, etc. Really scenic. The desert has a beauty of it's own, though probably not appreciated by non-desert dwellers. However, distant monsoon rain storms, colorful sunsets, towering clouds, etc. make for some really great shots.

Lastly, I often record a flight in Way Point mode in the interesting areas. Bring it home, put in a fresh battery, and repeat the flight under Way Point control. This smooths out the flight greatly and allows you to concentrate on controlling the camera and Phantom yaw to focus on what you really want.

When you get your Phantom, learn to fly it in an open area, fly in a box pattern, circles, figures 8s, etc. to really get the feel of it before you send it down a mountain canyon! Research your area, do a good Phantom check list before each flight, and fly it conservatively and cautiously and you will have many great flights.

Hope some of this diatribe was helpful, and my apologies to those living on the beach next to a castle and waterfall on some enchanted island! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4