Flying in Heat

Reaction score
Okay, I'm on site. Temp is 107. Going to try out Air 2 and 6+. If I can last that long! Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

But, it's a dry heat.

Reactions: snerd
Flew 4 batteries! First two with the iPhone 6+. As it did last time in high temps, after 5 minutes it started to darken. It bottomed out at barely visible, but enough to finish and use it for another battery. Halfway through second one, started getting some video lag and it was a little choppy. Still fairly dark screen. Finished second battery, then flew iPad Air 2 on last 2 batteries. It didn't flinch. No problems at all. It was running pretty hot, though. Finished fourth battery still working fine. The bird doesn't seem to flinch at this temp! It did drop one degree to 106 before I finished, though. :D

Southern Oklahoma. Not unusual for around here in August.
Oh yeah, I was stationed at Ft. Sill 1977-79. I'm in AZ, it was 110 a couple of days ago. If I want to fly in the summer I have to launch by 8 am.

Flew 4 batteries! First two with the iPhone 6+. As it did last time in high temps, after 5 minutes it started to darken. It bottomed out at barely visible, but enough to finish and use it for another battery. Halfway through second one, started getting some video lag and it was a little choppy. Still fairly dark screen. Finished second battery, then flew iPad Air 2 on last 2 batteries. It didn't flinch. No problems at all. It was running pretty hot, though. Finished fourth battery still working fine. The bird doesn't seem to flinch at this temp! It did drop one degree to 106 before I finished, though. :D
Nice. Thanks.

Here on the Gulf near Panama City Beach, it has been 95° with 70% humidity and light winds. The Phantom and my Galaxy S4 have done very well. Me, not so much! It was a "feels like" of 105°. What sucks about such high humidity is your sweat doesn't seem to do much for you and I sweat a LOT.

Please keep updating on how flying in high heat affects your P3.

A mini fan for device might make sense? And a hood that extends a bit further back so the sun is not beaming on the back of the device?

From what I read, the biggest danger is ruining your batteries.

Humidity was 38%, so not too dry. But our winds make it bearable, usually 10-20 or higher.

It's all relative. See what I did there? :D

I'll trade you the 80% we have now although my skin would probably just start falling off in 38%.

I'm in Arizona where all this week has been consistently 112 or above, and I've not wanted to get out to fly the P3P. Not just because of the aircrafts & devices response to the heat, but my own as well. When I was younger, the heat didn't bother me as much. But now, it bothers me a lot. In AZ even 12% humidity is a lot, and makes for a horrible experience outside.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438963976.934520.jpg

You probably shouldn't take cats on a plane during this time...they can be very ornery. [emoji6]

I was flying in 110+ in Egypt ... Motors would get hot... And iPad Air 2 would over heat if not covered or in shade on first battery. No issues flying though other then occasional ipad over heat and gimbal over load.
This is exactly why I got the white iPad Air and not the black one haha

How hot were your P3 batteries after flight?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj