Flying in Hawaii (Kauai)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm coming from Australia to Kauai via Honolulu this week (for a week) and bringing my P3A & 3 batteries. I'll register my craft with FAA on arrival (since they won't let us do it from Oz) then looking forward to some good shots and would appreciate your valuable input on the following:
- is there an iOS app or map that shows the no fly areas around main aerodrome on the island? We have "safe to fly" in Australia for example.
- any location recommendations there?
- any other tips? Stuff to be aware of? Ideas?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have a great time in Hawaii and share some videos here. The app to use is the FAA's own B4UFLY or Hover.

I really like 'UAV Forecast' for NoFly Zones and TFR/NOTAM's, as well as local weather.

I was just on Maui a month or so ago, and my primary observation is that especially on the coastlines, Hawaii is quite windy, with routine 20-knot winds with higher gusts. There were several situations where I would have loved to fly, but just wasn't confident in my P3 to successfully fight the wind gusts, in part because I hadn't done a lot of high-wind flight before, and we were either on a cliff/hillside, or the wind was blowing off-shore, greatly increasing the risk of a spectacular flight along the shoreline.

My one big suggestion would be to buy a cheap anemometer - having some way to measure local wind and know whether it's 15 knots with gusts to 22 (manageable) or 22 knots with gusts to 30 (super-marginal), would have been a big help.

Kauai may be different, but there was more low-level helicopter traffic on Maui than I'd expected - I found a spotter and a very cautious approach to altitude to be very helpful.

Hope you have a great trip, and a good flying experience!

Pardon me for jumping in, will be in Kauai in June. Any resources to review as far as places that are no-go besides the usual? Specifically I would want to know about the parks such as Napali, Waimea, etc. Thanks.

Pardon me for jumping in, will be in Kauai in June. Any resources to review as far as places that are no-go besides the usual? Specifically I would want to know about the parks such as Napali, Waimea, etc. Thanks.
Never mind. I think I answered my own question. According to State Parks website, no drones period. Can someone confirm?

it is prohibited to take off/land/operate while in a state park. You can still get some pretty awesome shots from the lower parts of the canyon before the state park boundary. I would stay away from flying near PMRF on the west side as its an active military base as well as in Lihue near the airport. I usually fly in Poipu if its not windy and Kekaha if you're looking to fly near the water. The bluffs on the heritage trail in Poipu is pretty cool. Also be sure to watch out for helicopters. tons of tours and military choppers occasionally fly pretty low. check out my instagram (@uheheu) if you want some ideas on where to shoot. most are geotagged. have fun!

Thx for all the pointers guys it was a fantastic trip, beautiful place!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

@jordkl. I checked out your instragram account. AWESOME pics! My wife and I are planning an anniversary trip there later this year (November). I noticed you had a few photos near or over state parks. How did you swing that? I thought they were technically not allowed over state parks?

Just got back and we flew there without much problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great shots. I was there in early July with my new P4. Nice place to learn how to fly. No problems in the airports. On leaving the island, I had a very nice TSA agent who asked all kinds of questions about flying one there. Best spots for videos, etc.

I didn't see much helicopter traffic in and around Poipu. We didn't get to Na Pali or Waimea this time, having spent a lot of time in those areas on our last trip. I'm sure Waimea was fun to fly, but I also know helicopters are frequent in the area. We took a couple of tours ourselves last time there.

It would be cool to get a hop over to the Big Island and see the lava flows hitting the ocean...

As long as you stay out of the Volcano National Park lands.

Actually I was there a couple summers ago. That area where lava occasionally hits the ocean is kind of a no mans land. It's a field of cold broken lava. Not part of the park. You have to do quite a bit of walking (actually jumping, climbing, hopping) to get to the flow. I'd say it's about three miles wide at the water's edge and you have to walk at least a mile in to get to the lava flow. There is no fence or guard or anything to stop you. It's dangerous because you could step on a weak spot and your leg could fall down into a below-the-surface lava stream. I've also heard there are bandits out there. Hawaii is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic