Flying in Fog?

Reaction score
We get quite a bit of sea fog drifting inshore at my location I've often thought about what it must look like from above and now I have the phantom I'm thinking of taking some footage flying above it. However after googling it there seems to be a risk of shorting out the electrics due to water droplets getting inside the frame. Has anyone done this and how serious is the risk? Is there any precautions I can take to reduce this risk ?

Help appreciated as always

It will come down with water on the outside, however the time actually in the fog will be quite brief?
I don't recall a single mishap blamed on moisture getting in and somehow killing it, but it's clearly best to keep it dry as possible.
Some of the best footage is when it's rather broken or shallow so you get some perspective - definitely go for it then.

Practically you're more likely to be troubled during the flight by condensation drops on the lens.
It will help if the phantom is warm when you take off.

Reactions: teslar
I did a few flights this week in very low cloud/fog and did find the craft quite wet when it landed! And a few droplets on the lens. Touchwood it flew ok and I wiped it down each time I landed and it looked quite dry when I got home. But don't intend to do too many flights in these conditions!

misty road.jpg

Reactions: landed and teslar
Fog cover earlier this week produced some incredible shots. Likely needed to use a lens to reduce sun exposure above the clouds but did what I could in post. I also noticed it becoming quite wet. Tiny bit paranoid about water at this point lol..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Chris42
ive flown mine through clouds once and only once, the footage was stunning as you could see the snow flakes and rain drops hitting the camera lens, as said if your only in the fog briefly then there should be any ill efffects from it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik