Flying in Boston: Esplanade

Reaction score
For those of you from the Boston area, I was about to fly along the Esplanade on the Charles River yesterday, but was informed (very politely) that the area was a no-fly zone due to helicopter traffic. Other than being within 5 miles to the airport (whose tower I planned to call prior to taking off), I couldn't find anything stating that it was illegal to fly there, other than a specific ban on the 3/4th of July of this past year. Does anyone know more about this? Whether it legal to fly here or not?

Thanks!

I don't believe that's accurate.

If a police officer informed you of this, ask him or her for the applicable code/law that they're allegedly enforcing.

Also, maybe a call to Boston city hall? See if they have an opinion?

Not a police officer, just a gentleman walking by. He said that the State Police could confiscate it if they caught me flying there.

And you listened to some random bloke on the street?

I'd be careful because of Logan, and maybe check in advance with local authorities (as you know how much we like making random laws in MA), but don't let some guy on the street stop you from flying.

Haha, well I figured I'd better be safe than sorry. I knew I needed to call the Logan Tower, but knew nothing about the River's specific rules. Seems like he read that it was banned for the 3/4th of July festivities but not for the whole year around.

You're supposed to stay away from all manned aerial traffic but that's just common sense. There's no blanket restriction on an area aside from airports where you can't fly. Last time I checked, helicopters can fly anywhere so would that restrict your ability to fly in those areas as well?

Still, as a precaution and to be a good citizen, it never hurts to actually check.

Don't listen to some bozo on the street. Call the tower and let them know your plans as you only have to notify, not get permission. You could then ask them about any restrictions.

Besides, when was the last time your saw State Troopers enforcing a park on the river?

I'm a private pilot in the Boston area... The "no fly zone because of helo traffic" is a false statement, however, that area is in Boston Class B airspace (down to the surface) so you can't legally fly there anyway...

I'm a private pilot in the Boston area... The "no fly zone because of helo traffic" is a false statement, however, that area is in Boston Class B airspace (down to the surface) so you can't legally fly there anyway...
I thought it was fine to fly as long as you notified the Logan Tower?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20