Flying gloves

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has recommendations on what gloves are good for flying being winter is fast approaching?

These?

Attachments

• arctic mitts.jpg
    arctic mitts.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 750
It's tough to fly with gloves that cover your fingertips and hard to find warm gloves that are thin enough to man the remote controller sticks. If you're planning on flying for long periods of time during the winter, you might want to consider something like this:

Glove.jpg

Was out today flying. It was 3C and my hands were getting a little cold and we don’t even have snow yet.
msinger do you have s link to those? They look interesting.

msinger do you have s link to those?
No. I usually don't fly for extended periods of time during the winter. I would buy something like that if I did though.

Reactions: Chrislaf
No. I usually don't fly for extended periods of time during the winter. I would buy something like that if I did though.
If that glove actually exists it might work better than gloves. Uses the shared body heat from both hands while keeping fingers free when needed for example changing settings on phone screen, etc.

Reactions: Chrislaf
They do exist. You can find several brands of them in these search results.
Thanks for the info and link. That looks like it may just be what I need. Since I have a P3S, I need to be able to access my phone screen to perform many functions as I don’t have the more advanced remote that has buttons and dials to change camera settings. Just need to make sure it will fit the P3S remote with the standard phone clip.

Don't forget, you can fly from inside the car. Many folks assume that doesn't work very good, but if you're facing the craft and have LOS through the windshield, the range is quite surprising, especially with a Windsurfer. Just turn on the heater with the motor running!

In certain circumstances, flying from inside the car is a preferred stealth flight option, to negate the ability for someone to easily see you flying. It also deters people from walking up to you and asking questions.

Stay warm guys.

Reactions: Tigerbait
Don't forget, you can fly from inside the car. Many folks assume that doesn't work very good, but if you're facing the craft and have LOS through the windshield, the range is quite surprising, especially with a Windsurfer. Just turn on the heater with the motor running!

That might work some of the time but some places I need to walk to. When we get snow and the lake and rivers freeze I will be using my snowmobile to get to places I can’t get to in the summer months so a car is not possible.

In certain circumstances, flying from inside the car is a preferred stealth flight option, to negate the ability for someone to easily see you flying. It also deters people from walking up to you and asking questions.

Stay warm guys.

Not planning on doing any spy work so won’t need stealth mode.

Not planning on doing any spy work so won’t need stealth mode.
Spy work? Me either. But I always do my best to stay out of sight to mitigate risk of idiots that have a bug up their rear about drones. What people can't see won't hurt them, drone-wise.

I don't fly from cars much, but when conditions warrant, and I want to fly I can always find suitable spots. Scenic turnouts work well. Whether in 100F or 30f temps, flying from inside the car works well with the motor running, especially to keep batteries in good health prior and after flights.

Reactions: KentA
You would think all the metal in a car would cause problems with the compass. I’ll keep flying from my truck in mind on really cold days.

When we get snow and the lake and rivers freeze I will be using my snowmobile to get to places I can’t get to in the summer months so a car is not possible.

That sounds like big fun. It's been years since I rode a snowmachine. I'll have to add that to my agenda this winter to capture new scenery.

You would think all the metal in a car would cause problems with the compass. I’ll keep flying from my truck in mind on really cold days.
It could affect compass if launching near metal, such as a car or truck. The compass is only in the craft. You do have to get outside and away from the car to launch and retrieve the craft. The metal of the car does affect signal too, but through the windshield works good, just keep the craft in front of you, pointing the Windsurfer at the craft, like normal.
Yes, flying from inside a vehicle is an option when conditions warrant, and you have a need for flight, definitely not for most missions.

Yes, I’m looking forward to the winter. Lots of beautiful scenery. It’s amazing how a blanket of snow can change a dull landscape into a beautiful one. Although, I have a backpack for my P3S, having to take it out on a snowmobile in sub-zero temps and install props etc. could be tricky. Currently investigating whether the Spark would be better in this situation.

Yes, I’m looking forward to the winter. Lots of beautiful scenery. It’s amazing how a blanket of snow can change a dull landscape into a beautiful one. Although, I have a backpack for my P3S, having to take it out on a snowmobile in sub-zero temps and install props etc. could be tricky. Currently investigating whether the Spark would be better in this situation.
A Mavic might be a good option, although a lot more money. The Mavic radio range is 2 to 3 miles and flies twice as long as a Spark. It's also easy to see in snow.

A Mavic might be a good option, although a lot more money. The Mavic radio range is 2 to 3 miles and flies twice as long as a Spark. It's also easy to see in snow.
Its a possibility, but I always fly within LOS so wouldn’t need the Mavics range. I have a feeling I won’t be up long anyway on cold days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic