Flying from the car?

Reaction score
Is it ok if i do all the processes regular way and then after take off i sit in the car and control from there? *duetocold*

Can this be an issue?

Sure. .... But you have to be aware of your home point location in the event of a RTH situation.
You are able to reset your homepoint during the flight so that home is not so far away.

On re-reading, perhaps you meant a stationary car, in which case that should be quite OK.

Reactions: t2adze
Sure. .... But you have to be aware of your home point location in the event of a RTH situation.
You are able to reset your homepoint during the flight so that home is not so far away.

On re-reading, perhaps you meant a stationary car, in which case that should be quite OK.
Home point will of course remain the place it took of from. The car will be parked 20 feet away from that point.

Yes, i meant stationary car :)

So its fine?

Home point will of course remain the place it took of from. The car will be parked 20 feet away from that point.
Yes, i meant stationary car :)

So its fine?
Yes .. that will be fine as long as you have a good line of sight between the Tx and the Phantom through a window.
It won't work so well if blocked by the roof etc.
I remember some folks doing a bit of car flying last winter.

Reactions: t2adze
How does Follow Me work while driving?
I can't be holding the RC while I rYde my SpYder RS-S. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I tried this the other day. It's crazy having someone drive while you fly. I've been doing rc a long time and it took some fpv flight skill to do it.

Would not recommend for the beginner/intermediate pilot. There is a lot you have to process all at once.

That said I made a video I'll upload soon. It's quite nerve wrecking lol. But a lot of fun and an awesome challenge

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How does Follow Me work while driving?
I can't be holding the RC while I rYde my SpYder RS-S. ;-)

RedHotPoker
I do frequent Follow-Me trips in my car without any hassles.

PS. I am not sure why a self-respecting quad would want to follow a Spyder, but there you go......

:p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes:

I tried this the other day. It's crazy having someone drive while you fly. I've been doing rc a long time and it took some fpv flight skill to do it.

Would not recommend for the beginner/intermediate pilot. There is a lot you have to process all at once.

That said I made a video I'll upload soon. It's quite nerve wrecking lol. But a lot of fun and an awesome challenge

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Were you using the follow me?
It more or less flies itself but you still need to be very wary of altitude changes and tall obstructions.

But the original post meant just sitting in the car while parked - it seems to work surprisingly well perhaps best through the windscreen to avoid metal as much as possible.
Another plus point is that it's not obvious who is controlling it which can be useful ;)

I'd prefer to hear from people who fly while sitting in a stationary car, which is what the op is referring to. I might try this myself, however if it's cold enough to have to sit in a car to keep warm I would consider that too cold to even fly that day. I usually prefer to mitigate risk and just fly when it's more comfortable. As long as there's not much wind, I can take a cold flight outside. Did many last winter. Love that no one is around in the winter. But sitting in the car though, not sure if I'll be comfortable with that. Wonder if windsurfers could help.

I do frequent Follow-Me trips in my car without any hassles.

PS. I am not sure why a self-respecting quad would want to follow a Spyder, but there you go......

:p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes:
Please let me Tell you what, @Erroll, if you can keep up to me, on my Can Am SpYder for just 1Kilometer, You get my pink card. But if you fall behind, please pull over and vacate my new ride ok. ;-)
We can race on a bus lane, so you have a lift back to your 'village'...
I wouldn't wish them, to miss you. Town Jester!! Hahaha
By the way, I still rYde at -10*C but don't see any of the tough as nails bikers anywhere.
And my drone ain't no Saint. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it at all. If it's that cold that you have to sit in a car with all that metal around you with the air con etc, then it's too cold to fly. Get a thicker coat!

My first try at it...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Flying from a moving car and at night, does anyone but me see a problem here? I'm waiting for someone to ask about flying while sitting on the toilet or taking a shower.

Flying from a moving car and at night, does anyone but me see a problem here? I'm waiting for someone to ask about flying while sitting on the toilet or taking a shower.
Only if the toilet is NOT moving!!

:rolleyes:

Yea, no worries, was in a park, and I've been flying for at least 15 years. Like I said, it's not for the faint of heart. lol At night made it especially fun as you couldn't see trees, but I know the park pretty well.. so didn't hit anything :)

Of course I don't think I would take this out on a busy street. That'd be rather stupid. Even the guys doing "follow me" on busy roads... man

The hardest part of flying while driving is having to let go of the joysticks so you can text and shift gears.

LOL Okay I thought this was classic! Spot on good sir, spot on!

I sometimes fly under the hatch of my SUV. Sometimes so I can get shade from the sun/see or just to give me an area to sit at. I haven't gotten any ill effects from doing such.

(just popped like photo)
0cc9ae57.jpg

Reactions: Squirrel!
First I tried shooting from a sitting car. Did that a few times. Didn't have any trouble. Then I tried shooting from a moving car just a few days ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic