Flying from outdoors into a manf. building

Reaction score
I should soon be flying an interesting job from outside into a building where a company manufactures large products.
The opening is large enough for a truck, so I'm not afraid of that. Ceilings are about 20ft. high.
What I need to know is what to expect during the transition from outside/inside. The structure is made of huge steel I beams. Most things inside are metal. The builders said there are problems with GSM signal and wifi inside.
I'm in Naza-M mode for IOC, should I flip from GPS into Naza (manual is not set in my settings) or just let it lose GPS and keep going? Should I expect any compass problems?
I have a plan B, which is building a small trolley that the Phantom would "pull around", but would be heavy enough to not allow and drifting/flyaway and would not allow more lift than the bungees allow. This would also be nice for small places like inside a house.
Anyone happen to know the approx. lift power for full throttle in kg?

Oh and there won't be anything that could be damaged in case control is lost. Pretty much just an empty huge production plant.

http://youtu.be/mPRq-ymJd5A

If you're basically trying to do this (start at 1:10 mark) then you need to start the flight in Attitude mode.
Whether you start the flight outside or not, going inside a building in GPS is never a good idea.
The Phantom will end up "hunting" for satellites and either defaulting to Attitude mode anyway, or crashing.

What cloud9 said. Even worse, it bounces in and out of GPS mode for a few seconds after you enter the building and fights the controls. You may have experienced this flying into a heavy canopy of trees and with intermittent GPS signal.

Start in ATT and stay in ATT

Great video, thanks for that.
That is basically what I'm going for. So in this case would I start the flight with right switch in atti before even starting up the bird?
Thus it will never have home lock (that's ok) and RTH will not be available during that flight (also ok).
I also expect that Course Lock doesn't work in Atti?

Fyod said:
Great video, thanks for that.
That is basically what I'm going for. So in this case would I start the flight with right switch in atti before even starting up the bird?
Thus it will never have home lock (that's ok) and RTH will not be available during that flight (also ok).
I also expect that Course Lock doesn't work in Atti?
You can start the Phantom in whichever mode you want but don't take off before switching to Atti (no GPS)

CL may work since it doesn't rely on GPS but not gonna guarantee that

No GPS means no /HL/RTH
You wouldn't want to use either inside anyway.

Curious to know if CL works differently in ATTI than GPS. Haven't tried it in ATTI. In GPS, CL uses GPS to hold the course.

Great advice above, you could also switch the set-up from RTH to land, just in case. Thx for sharing, Cheers Mark

Can anyone confirm if CL works in Atti?

I would imagine CL should work in atti mode as the only information it needs is orientation and it can get that from the compass.

So it worked nicely. Only problem was it was slightly windy so going from outside inside in Atti was a challenge, but it worked.
It is really weird that the bird keeps drifting, took a while to get used to, but the space was large enough that I could easily play around.
Forgot to test CL, it would've helped because I lost sense of orientation a couple times.
May go and fly again tomorrow.

CVqx3zEl.jpg

What is the purpose of this flight inside the building, if I may ask out of curiosity?

Its newly built and they need a presentation flick for investors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik