Flying from boat

Reaction score
I am wanting to use my drone from the boat, and wondering if being on a metal boat will screw up compass? Can you do compass calibration on the boat? What I am interested in is using follow me mode mostly

Reactions: The Texan
I am wanting to use my drone from the boat, and wondering if being on a metal boat will screw up compass? Can you do compass calibration on the boat? What I am interested in is using follow me mode mostly
First, there's no need to calibrate your compass before flying, no matter where you fly.
Is your boat made of steel or aluminium?
Steel will affect compasses but aluminium doesn't.

Thanks it is all Aluminum

Just remember that engines, anchors, chain and electrical wiring can affect compasses ... its why you have Compass safe distances stated on labels of instruments / items you fit to boats ...

So try launch / retrieve in a position away from that big outboard or engine lump you have !!

Nigel

Reactions: The Texan and OOO
Hand launching would be your best option also. To get a feel as to if the compass is compromised you can look at the compass mod value in the sensor screen of the app (check it is close to what you ordinarily see in a known good environment) and by looking at the radar- if the nose heading changes from actual when you move away form the boat you won’t have a great flight.

I've flown my P3P from various fiberglass boats (all 26' or under) and a 40' wooden hardtop with twin diesels. On that boat, I flew off one of the motor boxes maybe 18" from the running engine. No issues. Just remember that your home point is set at take off and if the boat even drifts a little bit, RTH may not bring you back to the boat.

I have basically two boats to fly off ... my Soviet Aluminium classic of 4.5m and the seagoing Motor Sailer 8m ...

The soviet job now has the old seats out of my Volvo ... rather swish if I say so myself !!

Nigel

Does make life interesting with all the mast stays and ropework on the sailer ....

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20