Flying Drone = Satan

Reaction score
Sometimes when flying my drone I feel like I'm nude, smoking a cigarette and playing catch by throwing a baby in the air.

Today I'm out in the perfect weather getting some photos of a new LDS Temple. I'm on a pubic sidewalk on a side road. Several vehicles slow down and almost stop next to me. A few pull into the parking lot I'm next to and just stop next to me. I get down to my last battery and walk over to the side of the building to get a different angle. I'm standing on the public sidewalk next to a round about that is on a dead end. Drone on the sidewalk and I'm getting ready to launch. Car drives by and stops 5' from the drone. Blocking another car behind them. Stays there for about 30 seconds and then drives off. Security guard for the building next door (Nu Skin) comes up and is _SUPER_ nice. He says he understands I'm getting photos of the new temple but tells me that work from his office is that people can't take photos of the Nu-Skin building and if someone fly's over he's supposed to call law enforcement. Again, he's a really nice guy just doing his job.

I just feel that its getting to the point where flying around anyone is almost not worth the hassle. I hate to offend anyone but truth is, I'm not harming anyone and just enjoying getting cool video and photos.

DJI_0824.JPG

The old Tabernacle in Provo? Wow, nice! Didn't realize it was finished. This was the one damaged in a fire a few years ago, right?

The old Tabernacle in Provo? Wow, nice! Didn't realize it was finished. This was the one damaged in a fire a few years ago, right?
Correct. They just got done rebuilding it into a new temple. Figured this might be the only time I could get drone footage as it's in a busy place. Right now it's surrounded by fence.

Working on the video right now.

BTW- I also called the Provo airport and notified them of the flight. They asked the height I'd be flying at and asked that I call them when I started and when I finished.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Correct. They just got done rebuilding it into a new temple. Figured this might be the only time I could get drone footage as it's in a busy place. Right now it's surrounded by fence.
They turned the Tabernacle in my hometown of Vernal into a Temple as well. My Parents were among the first to serve a senior mission there.

Back on topic... They can forbid you from going on their property, but they can't keep you or anyone else from overflying it or from photographing what's visible from public property.

Reactions: Ariel@Hivemapper
Back on topic... They can forbid you from going on their property, but they can't keep you or anyone else from overflying it or from photographing what's visible from public property.

I did thank the guard for coming over and explaining things to me. I pointed out that I understood it was not coming from him, rather someone else and he was just explaining things but I asked his if he understood that Nu Skin could not prevent people from taking photos of the building. I pointed out that this was a violation of the 4th Amendment. I said that he was just explaining what he was told to do. I told him I understood completely, appreciated him coming over and talking to me. We agreed the weather was great and he went back up to the building. As I mentioned, he was really very nice and was just doing his job.

(BTW - Nu Skin is a multi-level marking company with revenue at 2.5 billion dollars. They have a _very_ nice building. Feel free to Google Nu Skin for more info)

The really odd thing was the car that stopped right next to me in the round about, blocking the car behind them. I did not even look up at them. On one side I'm looking at a LDS temple. On the other I'm next to the Nu Skin convention center. Think about that one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic