Flying downward, into canyons

Reaction score
I've yet to see or hear of Phantoms flying downward, so I wonder if this is not possible? For example, I'd like to drive up the mountain behind us and start flying downward, a descent of about 2000 feet toward our cabin.

Not recommended?

GearLoose said:
I've yet to see or hear of Phantoms flying downward, so I wonder if this is not possible? For example, I'd like to drive up the mountain behind us and start flying downward, a descent of about 2000 feet toward our cabin.

Not recommended?

I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever,
but you will want to take a few precautions, as in the event of signal loss, RTH will then try to rise in altitude to 10m above the HL you took off from. - which would take a bit of power to fly up so high and over.

Another thing to be cautious about is flying OVER a hill, as the Phantom is unaware of obstacles higher than 10m in between itself and HL, .and you woulnd't want your Phantom flying into a hill.

But flying down a hill shouldn't be a problem.

GearLoose said:

Not recommended?

Hey Gearloose -
just wanted to point out a couple of things before you head down the slope. 2,000 feet is a little more than twice the established range of 300m (per Dji). The other consideration is getting back. Climbing back up a 2,000 foot steep slope could eat battery juice by the bowlful.

I would think - if the air is thin at higher elevations it would take additional battery power to keep the Phantom aloft

relatively speaking it should not be a problem to do this IF you understand that the usage of the RTH is not practical in this situation. it would be easier for the craft to fall than it is to climb. the tricky part is to move the craft forward as it is falling to avoid hitting the ground or obstacles. the real concern is the RTH function... as stated in the above post, home position will be higher in elevation to where the craft will be, and thus most likely to fly into something should the RTH function engages.

auck said:
relatively speaking it should not be a problem to do this IF you understand that the usage of the RTH is not practical in this situation. it would be easier for the craft to fall than it is to climb. the tricky part is to move the craft forward as it is falling to avoid hitting the ground or obstacles. the real concern is the RTH function... as stated in the above post, home position will be higher in elevation to where the craft will be, and thus most likely to fly into something should the RTH function engages.
Hello, I am headed for the Grand Canyon, Arizona. Can I fly using gps and a home base from either at the top or the bottom of the canyon? Seems that the GPS would have a difficult time in fly back determining altitude of 20 meters along the canyon walls? No Yes? Mercy?

PixelNinja said:
JWDrone said:
auck said:
Hello, I am headed for the Grand Canyon, Arizona. Can I fly using gps and a home base from either at the top or the bottom of the canyon? Seems that the GPS would have a difficult time in fly back determining altitude of 20 meters along the canyon walls? No Yes? Mercy?

While you wait for auck to respond to this year old thread here is something to ponder:

The NPS has banned RC aircraft flight within the GCNP.

Haha,, issue solved, canceled that trip ,, thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj