Flying commercially with Phantom 3 in case

Reaction score
About to fly back East and want to take my Phantom 3. I have a backpack case for it. Anyone have any problems carrying a Ph3 on board?

I flew from Tennessee to Oregon and back with a GoProfessional case and no one looked at it twice.
I believe the batteries should be in a discharged state (not 100% sure how much) and they should remain in the passenger compartment.
That's been a little while back thought, but I haven't heard anything different.

I've had no problems carrying it on board domestically with American Airlines. None of the TSA personnel I've encountered have even opened the case, much less asked about the batteries. I flew to Germany via LHR this summer and had an overzealous security agent at LHR take everything out of my pack, rescan it, and had to question a Supervisor as to whether I was allowed to carry my Phantom as hand baggage, but the Supv. didn't have any issues with it. On my return through Heathrow, they didn't even open the pack. It passed on through without issue.

Reactions: Fplvert
I fly with my P3 for work purposes every single week so have quite a few good and bad reports. That said, I'm flying domestically in a communist country.....China, so I have to presume I'm dealing with close to worse case scenarios. If you carry on, you must remove the batteries from the case and place each one in a separate plastic zip lock and carry them separately from the UAV. If you stow the hard plastic traveling case in the belly, the story is the same. They want the batteries carried on-board in plastic bags. Other than that, the Chinese TSA types are simply curious to look and touch the drone. One other rule is that each battery cannot exceed 100wh and only two spares. I hope that DJI don't plan a battery upgrade in the future because that could spell trouble.

Lastly, and not so unreasonable given the circumstances, the Middle East is the toughest place to hand carry a P3 on board. I've flown both Qatar and Emirates and have found the same drill. At ticket counter they want to take the P3 from you, without receipt mind you, and carry it themselves to the gate agent who will then get it wrapped in a plastic mummy bag for carry on to the plane. My question to the gate agent "are you afraid I'm going to launch it inside the aircraft", didn't go over well. Anyway, those are my experiences thus far.

Ok, just got back from a trip from Orange County to St. Louis. Both airports the TSA opened my hard pack and ran one of those wands over the inside. This is new from previous flights in US. Anyone else had this happen? Also of note, they know it's a drone and ask what I plan to do with it in somewhat serious but friendly tone. I say, to take pics and vids of course!?!
Note: I did go through TSA pre-check for the first time, so perhaps this is why?

I fly with my P3 for work purposes every single week so have quite a few good and bad reports. That said, I'm flying domestically in a communist country.....China, so I have to presume I'm dealing with close to worse case scenarios. If you carry on, you must remove the batteries from the case and place each one in a separate plastic zip lock and carry them separately from the UAV. If you stow the hard plastic traveling case in the belly, the story is the same. They want the batteries carried on-board in plastic bags. Other than that, the Chinese TSA types are simply curious to look and touch the drone. One other rule is that each battery cannot exceed 100wh and only two spares. I hope that DJI don't plan a battery upgrade in the future because that could spell trouble.

Lastly, and not so unreasonable given the circumstances, the Middle East is the toughest place to hand carry a P3 on board. I've flown both Qatar and Emirates and have found the same drill. At ticket counter they want to take the P3 from you, without receipt mind you, and carry it themselves to the gate agent who will then get it wrapped in a plastic mummy bag for carry on to the plane. My question to the gate agent "are you afraid I'm going to launch it inside the aircraft", didn't go over well. Anyway, those are my experiences thus far.

Really? they wrap it? hmm.. i just recently brought my drone from dubai to Qatar.. i bought it in HK Airport.. the issue was the camera attached so QATAR Customs got my quad.. solution is go to Dubai, (i did not exit the airport) remove the camera, Throw the Wonderful big box, then put it in a luggage... no issue when i came back. I feel you bro! haha :):):)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4