Flying Canyons

Reaction score
Okay, have a question.. If you were flying the P3 by a deep gorge or canyon, and you take off by the rim. If your altitude is showing like 200' and then you fly over the rim above the canyon floor what happens? if you are now suddenly 800' above the canyon floor does the P3 dive to get below 400'? Thus making it impossible to get back up to the rim?
Just something I was wondering.. Anyone had experiance with this? Thanks

No. The bird measures altitude from it's 'take off point'. It doesn't measure altitude based on sea level. No automated change in flight path will occur.
So will it display a neg. altitude if you fly below rim?

Is there anything we should do when flying down in a canyon? Such as compass calibration etc. ?

Well I have flown down valleys plenty of times - not quite a canyon. Yes you get negative height but it makes no difference.
You do need to watch for wind gusts and updraughts but the P3 is so stable it is incredible.
You also get birds of prey etc so be careful.
In this valley I fly along I will only do so on weekends - the RAF fly up at 680 kts during the week lol.

upload_2015-9-26_18-15-33.png

Yup, it will do just fine. I typically leave my max altitude at 500 meters just try to stay within the 300 AGL rule in case you get a rogue aircraft in the canyon with you. I have been trying to figure out how to fly a spot near my house that the canyon floor where I will drive in at is 10,500 feet and the canton walls on two sides are just over 13,000 feet. No way to climb the walls without proper climbing gear.

So here is a little canyon I flew about a mile from my house. It had a cave I wanted to check out. I will be going back in with FPV (which I didn't have on this flight) and a super bright light to look deeper in the cave, it is probably filled with Spanish Gold from the Conquistadors. lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That looks more like a mine entrance than a cave!
I LOVE exploring things like that - spent many hours in old mines and did a lot of caving as well. Access looks tricky though lol.

Dang so you could really put it up there if you launched from the top of the Empire State Building !!

Flew a few canyons in the Arctic using ATTI and had problems with loosing signal if it went out of line of sight. Could be disasterous if the winds are gusty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31