Flying Below not above?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post although ive been reading for ages...So Hi...

I have owned my vision + for around 2 months now and have had many lovely flights - One thing ive been thinking of tho I was hoping someone on here may be able to answer or shed some light on for me...

Say your Home/Start position is above where you want to fly (IE standing on the top of a shear cliff in a viewing area) and say you wanted to take the phantom up over then below the point where you are standing (still in clear line of sight) but say like 50m below to grab footage of said sheer cliff... Will this have a huge impact on range/control signal? Ive been mulling it over in my head for a while but due to not knowing all that much about radio or WIFI signals & behaviour im not too sure... I obviously realise that all the receiver/transmitter antennas are directed down the legs and pointing downwards for obvious reasons, so I just don't know...

Would it all work when the signals are coming from the controller above the bird? In my head the juries out so too scared to even attempt it (Water below said cliff :? ) However footage would be absolutely brilliant...

Has anyone any thoughts, experience on or ever tried anything like this?

The radio frequency comes out as an elliptical dome shape from the controller, you should be fine flying below your home position. Just as long as the phantom has it's GPS locked home point a good way in from the cliff so in the event of a RTH it doesn't try landing at or over the edge of the cliff :/

All I have done was control the quad from a balcony 7 stories high while the bird was on the beach. That worked fine.

I recently flew around cliffs here in hawaii and did not have any issues whatsoever on the controls, FPV, etc while keeping it in line of sight. However, I lost complete connection and had a RTH when the bird went around a point on the cliff and was out of sight (it was only about 800' away). Luckily I had set the home point away from the cliff edge and it did a safe RTH, although it still scared the crap out of me. I had 9 sat, 90% on the wifi, and about 65% battery at that point so of course I didn't expect to lose complete connection. I was even using the wifi booster app (which the jury is still out for me on this). I included a photo so you will see what I am talking about. I was out of shot to the left standing on the cliff about the same height as the bird and I lost connection when I continued around the lighthouse to the other side of the cliff. I would say as long as you keep the bird in sight, it shouldn't be a problem. I look forward to seeing what you get!! :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 454
I forgot to say that I was flying it below me on the cliffs with no issues, it was only when it went around a corner out of sight that it became an issue.

flyHI said:
I forgot to say that I was flying it below me on the cliffs with no issues, it was only when it went around a corner out of sight that it became an issue.

I had a similar problem when I was flying at Sideling Hill. Once the mountain came between me and the Phantom, I lost control & FPV almost immediately. I guess signals don't go through rock well? ;)

I would be curious to know if the rth kicked in an you were more than 20m below you (or level ground) does tha PV2+ still go up 20m and then start to come home? If so how does it handle the altitude it still needs to gain?

samd012 said:
I would be curious to know if the rth kicked in an you were more than 20m below you (or level ground) does tha PV2+ still go up 20m and then start to come home? If so how does it handle the altitude it still needs to gain?

I can tell you exactly what she will do. It will ascend to 20m above the launch altitude and RTH. Mine cleared the mountain but missed a tree by inches! :shock:

Dirty Bird said:
samd012 said:

I can tell you exactly what she will do. It will ascend to 20m above the launch altitude and RTH. Mine cleared the mountain but missed a tree by inches! :shock:

Same here. There was a lookout at the top and I was afraid that it would run right into that but luckily I had launched about 10m below so it buzzed everyone's head when it came home. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.