Flying Atti on my street

Reaction score
Hey again

I always had a dream to see my house and neighborhood from above. Now since i have p3s, it became possible. BuT!
There is only 3 sats it connects to.
And is in P Atti mode. Which i never flew before.
My street not huge, and its two 5 floor buildings across each other + top neighbor has satelite dish hanging off his balcony.

is it too risky to try flying ONLY up in no windy weather?

If i lose signal - and there is no gps, will it RTH?

Any advice?

If i lose signal - and there is no gps, will it RTH?
GPS is required in order for your Phantom to return home. If you have less than 6 satellites, your Phantom will land at its current location if the remote controller signal is lost.

Reactions: ShoRotten
GPS is required in order for your Phantom to return home. If you have less than 6 satellites, your Phantom will land at its current location if the remote controller signal is lost.
So if i just go up in p-atti mode, and it lodes signal, it will automatically decrease the altitude and land?
Should i change that in failsafe settings too?

What else should i consider

So if i just go up in p-atti mode, and it lodes signal, it will automatically decrease the altitude and land?
The failsafe setting in the DJI GO app allows you to set the behavior when the remote controller signal is lost. Your Phantom can hover in the air, land at its current location, or return to home. If set to return to home, your Phantom will only actually return home if it's connected to 6+ satellites at the time the signal is lost. If it's connected to less than 6 satellites, it'll hover at its current position for up to 15 seconds to see if it regains connection to 6+ satellites. If it's still connected to less than 6 satellites after 15 seconds, it will land at its current location. This will occur no matter which mode you're flying in (even P-ATTI).

FYI, when flying in P-ATTI mode, your Phantom is still able to use the GPS (when connected to 6+ satellites). It just doesn't use it to hold its position.

The failsafe setting in the DJI GO app allows you to set the behavior when the remote controller signal is lost. Your Phantom can hover in the air, land at its current location, or return to home. If set to return to home, your Phantom will only actually return home if it's connected to 6+ satellites at the time the signal is lost. If it's connected to less than 6 satellites, it'll hover at its current position for up to 15 seconds to see if it regains connection to 6+ satellites. If it's still connected to less than 6 satellites after 15 seconds, it will land at its current location. This will occur no matter which mode you're flying in (even P-ATTI).

FYI, when flying in P-ATTI mode, your Phantom is still able to use the GPS (when connected to 6+ satellites). It just doesn't use it to hold its position.
Your answers are the best on this forum. Thanks a lot. Always makes everything so clear!

P.s. can neighbors satelite dish be a threat?

P.p.s. its a lot of cars over there. Will calibration compass beocme a problem?

Your answers are the best on this forum.
Thanks! I'm always happy to help :)

can neighbors satelite dish be a threat?
I have never personally flown around satellite dishes, but I would suggest you don't do it.

P.p.s. its a lot of cars over there. Will calibration compass beocme a problem?
You should not attempt to calibrate your compass near any metal objects (cars included). Keep in mind that sidewalks have metal in them too.

Thanks! I'm always happy to help :)

I have never personally flown around satellite dishes, but I would suggest you don't do it.

You should not attempt to calibrate your compass near any metal objects (cars included). Keep in mind that sidewalks have metal in them too.
Flying like 10 meters away from satellite dish should be fine?

So what should i do with the compass calibration? Its the small street. :(

Why don't you try flying in an open area? It would be a shame to crash your Phantom so soon. Flying in enclosed areas is not easy to do. And, it could be dangerous if there are people around.

Why don't you try flying in an open area? It would be a shame to crash your Phantom so soon. Flying in enclosed areas is not easy to do. And, it could be dangerous if there are people around.
I am doing that too. I just really wanna see my neighborhood from the eagle eye view :)
Thats why im planning to do it early in the morning. So no people will be out.

Once i noticed, when calibratingcompass, it gave an error message saying that too many metal objects around.
If it doesnt do that, and calibrates, its safe to try or still dangerous?

You definitely do not want to calibrate the compass there. It's not a good idea to take off and/or land near metal objects either.

Is it possible to take off from another location and fly over your neighborhood? If so, that would be safer.

You definitely do not want to calibrate the compass there. It's not a good idea to take off and/or land near metal objects either.

Is it possible to take off from another location and fly over your neighborhood? If so, that would be safer.
I doubt. Its very urban area. :(
I might have an access to neighbors garden, there its less of a hassle.

This is the place where i wanted to take off. After its a street (cats also :) ) and then the other building.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 1447979330560.jpg
    1447979330560.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 382
Wow, that's a tight area.
Can you fly from a higher location in the neighbor hood where you would have good GPS lock from the start. I assume the elevation you want to fly at would have enough satellites.
From that picture that doesn't look like a very safe to fly and cause many compass errors.
I think you should get some more flight time before that one. So far I fly in GPS mode and flip to ATTI to keep from RTH landing in tree or brush.
I don't have enough airtime in ATTI to try that one.

Here is some thoughts.
If he has no safe to fly in GPS on takeoff and has it in GPS mode. He fly's straight up to his wanted elevation gets GPS lock the RTH would be saved at the location? If so and you lost remote signal what would happen? My thought it would fly to the logged RTH position, then start descending until the GPS lock failed and then continue straight down from that point.

Wow, that's a tight area.
Can you fly from a higher location in the neighbor hood where you would have good GPS lock from the start. I assume the elevation you want to fly at would have enough satellites.
From that picture that doesn't look like a very safe to fly and cause many compass errors.
I think you should get some more flight time before that one. So far I fly in GPS mode and flip to ATTI to keep from RTH landing in tree or brush.
I don't have enough airtime in ATTI to try that one.

Here is some thoughts.
If he has no safe to fly in GPS on takeoff and has it in GPS mode. He fly's straight up to his wanted elevation gets GPS lock the RTH would be saved at the location? If so and you lost remote signal what would happen? My thought it would fly to the logged RTH position, then start descending until the GPS lock failed and then continue straight down from that point.
Thats a good idea. I have a neighbor which has a balcony on the 5th floor, so no obstacles over. BuT its stiĺ a balcony. Wont compass calibration problem still occur?

Its got to better than all the cars in the street and keep in mind all the metal in the buildings and the concrete.

I thought you might ask that, hum... near by in an area you trust the calibration results. Still pretty risky, I think you need a lot of flying before trying this.

Sometimes you only crash it once.

Just for fun, post your location Lat / Lon, like
45° 34' 13.45" N
121° 46' 43.13" W

So, let me review my today's experience.

I went to my neighbour who has a balcony, somewhere between two roofs(kind of an add-on to a house)...
I got 7 Sats. Which made me happy.
I DIDNT calibrate the compass.
And i took off. PERFECT! It went up to MAX 90 Meter alltidude. After that it was losing signal with the remote controller. And i think that's still perfect result. BECAUSE i was in between two roofs. Surrounded with satelite dishes of the neighbors. A lot of metal.

There were two moments. One, when P3S lost the signal, and turned around and did RTH. And then after it regained signal, i did cancel the RTH and continued flying.

BUT THE SCARY PART was when once, it lost signal, and not only it said it lost signal, it also GREYED OUT on the phone screen, and RTH was failed also. ANd it was hanging like that, up in the air, for like 10 seconds(which felt like an hour, probably because i panicked), but after 10 seconds it regained connection, and i did RTH and finished my 10 minute flight.

:)

I think the unit would have still RTH. You lost the telemetry data being sent back to mobile device so you would not have been able to activate it manually.

Holy Crap, all those roofs are metal.
Good thing you didn't post that before you flew.
:D
Glad it worked

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie