Flying at night

Reaction score
Is flying at night now illegal or is just frowned upon? I would like to fly over the small town I live in and capture the Christmas lights. Will stay up about 250 feet to clear all obsticals of course. All threads led me to 2014, need the 2015 rules.

Very little is illegal until the feds gets around to passing some laws.

I know the FAA does not allow commercial UAV aircraft to fly at night, exemption or no exemption. So carrying that forward for hobbyists, I'd say they probably aren't real happy about it, but it's certainly not illegal quite yet...

image.jpg
I fly at night all the time.

Ditto! My favorite time to fly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: FotoGeek and Ti22
Phantoms are much easier to see heading direction in dark.

My flying club field is open 24/7 and club rules state “proper lighting” if flying when dark.

Due to my odd sleep/work schedule I often head over before sunrise and buzz the Phantom around for a couple battery packs until the sun rises and I switch over to FW (fixed wing) flying as more people start to arrive.

I’ve since bought some LED navigation lights for my FW T-28 and someday might grab one of those HK (Hobby King) Lightbeam foamies?

For hobby flying - night time is the best!

My older Hak909 - I used to love flying that at night just because it looked so cool in the sky. I haven't flown my Phantom at night yet though. But I want to. And I will.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20