Flying at High Elevation

Reaction score
I have been flying at elevations above 11,000 ft. in the mountains of Colorado. FYI some things I have discovered.

1) The air is less dense at this elevation allowing for me to fly in higher wind speeds than at sea level.
2) Default decent of 3M per second is too fast! No more vertical descents for me...
3) The wind is ALLWAYS present up here; ordered a RotorPixel gimbal.

Suggestions and tips are welcome from any "Veterans" that are flying at high altitudes...

Link to my first video shot at 11000 ft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqEVVmRB0NQ

Thanks!

I am also in Colorado , my home is at 9000' and yes we have different challenges than our sea level friends.

A couple of questions,
1. What setting changes have you made to your software.
2. I ordered the rotorpixel gimble then cancelled the order as I was concerned about the extra weight, let me know how it works.
3. Have you modified your phantom? Carbon fiber props, rotor guards? Or?
4. I am interested in meeting with other area phantom owners, I am in Colorado Springs area, so if you know go anyone down this way let me know.

Thanks,

Charley

Hi Chuck,

1) All Firmware/Software current. Changed the Gimbal settings only.
2) Looking forward to the new gimbal...
3) Everything is stock, no Mods
4) I am an RC "Newbie"!

Flown at 9800 feet in Florissant CO with no problems. Lots of power even with prop guards. Will install taco gimbal and see how aircraft does.

mtnmanchuck said:
I am also in Colorado , my home is at 9000' and yes we have different challenges than our sea level friends.

A couple of questions,
1. What setting changes have you made to your software.
2. I ordered the rotorpixel gimble then cancelled the order as I was concerned about the extra weight, let me know how it works.
3. Have you modified your phantom? Carbon fiber props, rotor guards? Or?
4. I am interested in meeting with other area phantom owners, I am in Colorado Springs area, so if you know go anyone down this way let me know.

Thanks,

Charley
I am a filmmaker from Summit County, just ordered my phantom and am looking for other like minded people to fly with.
(i ordered mine for filmmaking purposes and think it would be pretty awesome to get a bunch of colorado phantoms together!)

I live at about 8,800 feet and have done a few high altitude runs, one to about 2,500 feet above my driveway (I've made sure there are no flight paths above my house) It's on Youtube if anyone wants to see. I agree with the max decent rate at 3 m/s, I've crashed hard twice now from descending too fast and I've learned that lesson. I think I can easily make 3,000 to 3,500 feet based on how much battery I had left but the descent is really tricky...you've got to have a lot of discipline.

I have not made any adjustments in software or gimbals but I do run carbon fiber props, have found the blade guards make handling in wind even harder so they are permanently gone, and I did recently upgrade to T-Motors and love them.

I took the Phantom on a trip to Winter Park last weekend and did a quick flight up on Berthod pass and total altitude was well over 12,000 feet with no noticeable problems or issues even though it was snowing pretty hard.

With the constant wind at altitude I agree that a 3 axis gimbal is really needed so that will be my next upgrade once it starts settling in on which is the best choice.

Reactions: SkiRunGroomer
I'll be moving to Colorado in May and will be in Gunnison Country... good to hear that these for the most part fly pretty well at altitude.

I got a couple of film ideas I want to do that maybe having another phantom would be pretty nice!

I am a filmmaker from Summit County, just ordered my phantom and am looking for other like minded people to fly with.
(i ordered mine for filmmaking purposes and think it would be pretty awesome to get a bunch of colorado phantoms together!)
I just ordered my phantom 3 and live in summit also. Is there a group up here yet?

You cannot change maximum descent speed.
(Also note the OP is two+ years old.)

Never done it but due to lower air density I would expect possibly sluggish response.

Other than that once you get used to it then you can adjust flying 'style' accordingly.

You can increase your decent rate as long as you maintain forward speed. I've done tight circles with maximum decent. At 50 feet I slow it down since I like to pull it out of the air in a GPS hover just above my head, pull left throttle down and your done. I I ordered the Aeronaut "Chroma" props and trimmed 1/4 inch off the tips with a band saw to fit. Balanced on Dubro since props are a metal hub and a center hole that's perfect for balancing.
Since I now have metal on metal just q-tip blue locktite on the threads and give it 30 minutes to adhere.
You now have high altitude stealth props and the are not coming off!!! My P3P silently schooled a P4 at 10,000 feet near the Spanish Peaks. For you Colorado pilots it was at the old ski resort named after the town of Cuchara on the Highway of Legends 12 west of Wallenberg, Colorado. The most scenic areas in Colorado I've ever seen.
Curious? Cuchara has around 100 people and at least 6 residents with phantom drones. Does 6% of the population make it the drone capitol of America? I know....who cares!
DJI landing gear puzzles the **** out of me. You build a fantastic drone and install suicide landing gear. It's like putting Cessna landing gear on the F-22 Raptor! The P-4's landing gear is a start.
Two inches wider with a carbon fiber mesh like gimble guard with a sleek fitting look attached to the belly!
Will post a still with Aeronaut blades next. Photo is on other device.
I cartoon this photo of my P-3
DJI P3P 4K  #2.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik