Flying at CA State beaches illegal?

Reaction score
A sheriff who just drove off the beach at a California beach near half Moon Bay said I couldn't fly my drone there because it was illegal due to trying to preserve bird activities. When was this enacted?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ask him. Ask him for the statute number and stuff.

Too late for that now. He was a sherif too, not even a CA ranger or other park employee. This warrants further investigations.

People have to start asking for the statutes and under who's jurisdiction these statutes are to be enforced A sheriff deputy has absolutely no jurisdiction at a state park nor federal airspace. Starting to see a patern. The prevailing negative attitude is creating on site legislatures who without a doubt know what we are doing must be illegal.

Last edited:
This warrants further investigations.
Yep. Politely ask questions.... lots of them. Call the Sheriff and ask him....politely

6f12d06f323596b58ea6e98f1e4f5a3a.jpg

Here's more CA crap

Around the bridge? Imagine some idiot crashing his UAV into traffic on the bridge. Drivers swerve and In no time at all their cars become submarines.
I suspect that is the thought behind it but I would rather see a 'stay X feet away from bridge', it is very photogenic and touristy.

Kort,
You were most likely flying in the Marine sanctuary area. Most of the coast from Pacifica south to Monterey is in the sanctuary area. It is a federal enforcement area, however any member of law enforcement, Federal, State, or local has the authority to enforce the law. Most deputies on the coast will not hassle you. State park rangers, California Fish and Game, and US Fish and Wildlife are known to be ball busters, so be happy you had contact with a deputy.
Check out the link below.....
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

6f12d06f323596b58ea6e98f1e4f5a3a.jpg

Here's more CA crap

...and people wonder why I don't like the "LeftCoast".

On a more serious note, can they at least define "near." Keep a reasonable distance, say 100 meters?

Exactly... What is near? Not a well written reg.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Around the bridge? Imagine some idiot crashing his UAV into traffic on the bridge.

Imagine some scum bag with evil intentions to create havoc via a few pounds of explosives. A lot of these regs need to take into account acts of terrorism. Unfortunately, this is yet another example of the 1% affecting the 99%. It's a real clear and present risk.

Imagine some scum bag with evil intentions to create havoc via a few pounds of explosives. A lot of these regs need to take into account acts of terrorism. Unfortunately, this is yet another example of the 1% affecting the 99%. It's a real clear and present risk.

what? In that case, better post a regulation that prohibits driving on or near the bridge too.

what? In that case, better post a regulation that prohibits driving on or near the bridge too.

Good one.
With a bridge...built for cars, there is a reasonable expectation that cars will be on the bridge.
Cannot apply that same reason to aircraft of any size.

Much like Jury Duty...people are gonna get hung up on "reasonable"; we were not raised the same way.

Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

So looks like recreational drones are fine as long as no postings at that park specifically says no drones. I wanted to fly around Half Moon Bay to get some shots. Anyone fly there recently with no issues?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers