Flying Around NYC - Need Help

Reaction score
Going to NYC in a few weeks and was planning on taking my P3 with me to get footage. However, looks like there's some restrictions for flying around NYC based on what I've been reading. Does anyone know where it's safe to fly and where I shouldn't fly?

I've heard I should stay away from places like the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. Also heard not to fly around crowds?

Anyone know places to lift off from? Likely makes sense to be as high as possible to avoid transmitter issues and have good visual sight.

Appreciate any help.

North end Roosevelt island and Gantry state park along the east river might be good spots to fly? I saw a guy around Gantry State park about a year ago with a Phantom of some version.

You’re not gonna get away with flying in Times Square and very much stay away from flying directly over crowded areas.

I frequently work in NYC but have only flown small park model MR’s around LIC (Long Island City). My P1 has remained in CA but I’ve been tempted to bring it out for a session or two.

I believe one of the forum Mods is a New Yorker so they may have better info about what’s fly or no-fly? I’d like to know too…

Lemme know if you need/want a spotter as I'm in NYC for most of August?

Going to NYC in a few weeks and was planning on taking my P3 with me to get footage. However, looks like there's some restrictions for flying around NYC based on what I've been reading. Does anyone know where it's safe to fly and where I shouldn't fly?

I've heard I should stay away from places like the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. Also heard not to fly around crowds?

Anyone know places to lift off from? Likely makes sense to be as high as possible to avoid transmitter issues and have good visual sight.

Appreciate any help.
You may want to get a sectional chart for the area. You'll need the one labeled New York.

Bring along a hot GF to distract LE and apologize profusely!
Stay out of sight when launching and landing.:rolleyes:

On Oct. 3rd, my birthday...
Gee, I wonder why they have restrictions in a major metropolis?

Perhaps from this sort of thing...

Guy could barely take off, so not too surprised it crashed... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Unless you are proficient at flying in urban areas, you need to be very careful. And you need to avoid crowds which is tough in NYC. A spotter is always a good idea. The rivers have a lot of helicopter traffic. Be mindful of helipads. The port authority won't allow you to fly from their property. And you may get grief from the Parks department.

Sounds just like my $55 Syma X5C, which is the only quad that includes onboard 720p video with audio. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! It is virtually indestructible, and self rights itself, if inverted in flight, and comes with built in prop guards. The whole thing is a little smaller than a Phantom, and apparently crashes into buildings without batting an eye. Weighs all of 8 ounces and actually floats to the ground, when the battery dies. Great urban high rise flyer! No one is getting hurt by this thing! If it doesn't come back, $55 buys you another!

Sounds just like my $55 Syma X5C, which is the only quad that includes onboard 720p video with audio. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! It is virtually indestructible, and self rights itself, if inverted in flight, and comes with built in prop guards. The whole thing is a little smaller than a Phantom, and apparently crashes into buildings without batting an eye. Weighs all of 8 ounces and actually floats to the ground, when the battery dies. Great urban high rise flyer! No one is getting hurt by this thing! If it doesn't come back, $55 buys you another!

We have three of these things.... parts are pennies... the girls can even fix them themselves. Wish they had bigger batteries... but they are a riot. I record them from about 100 feet fighting each other. They can hit each other and still go on... they are great little fighters.

I wonder if the Syma's will be outlawed as well when the dust settles?

We have three of these things.... parts are pennies... the girls can even fix them themselves. Wish they had bigger batteries... but they are a riot. I record them from about 100 feet fighting each other. They can hit each other and still go on... they are great little fighters.

I wonder if the Syma's will be outlawed as well when the dust settles?
When Symas are outlawed, only outlaws will fly Symas. Count me in! They'll have to pry mine from my cold dead fingers! :D

A little dry ice, and you will drop it.. ;-)

Love my small indoor quads and heli.

RedHotPoker

A little dry ice, and you will drop it.. ;-)

Love my small indoor quads and heli.

RedHotPoker
Probably true! The Hubsan H4 (H107C HD) with the 720p video camera is the perfect indoor flyer to practice with, assuming you fly it with the prop guard on. Great for videoing a cat's or dog's view of the world while flying inches off the floor!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl