Flying allowed in NYC or from Brooklyn?

Reaction score
My partner & I have a photo shoot in NYC in a couple weeks.
Would love to do some skyline shots from Brooklyn - maybe by park near the bridge.

But checking my Hover App it looks like practically the whole island of Manhattan is a NFZ.
Any New Yorkers here can give us the scoop? Can we fly anywhere at all around NYC??

The top places with hyper anti-drone hysteria....
California, New York, Washington state, Washington DC, Chicago, Seattle .......
What going on with these "No Drone Zones" ?

Would love to do some skyline shots from Brooklyn - maybe by park near the bridge.

But checking my Hover App it looks like practically the whole island of Manhattan is a NFZ.
Any New Yorkers here can give us the scoop? Can we fly anywhere at all around NYC??
As the old adage goes: You can do anything as long as you don't get caught !

I would say that is a risky proposition if you are violating an FAA no fly zone-- if they caught you, it may be like the guy landing his gyro copter on the Capitol grounds, he is facing some prison time for that little incursion into a no fly zone. Not worth the risk

Don't you think calling the port authority or which ever agency is responsible for the bridge will get you a better answer than a forum?

Plan you shot. Get your shot. Get out of there.

Do not depend on hover or other apps. They, like others, have their own particular interpretation of what is permitted. You need to learn the actual rules in place and decide what you feel is appropriate.

Do not depend on hover or other apps. They, like others, have their own particular interpretation of what is permitted. You need to learn the actual rules in place and decide what you feel is appropriate.
Ok guys. Appreciate the input.
But back to original request;
Are there any Actual pro photogragrphers Here I this forum- who Live in NYC and KNOW the answers?

I've no wish to violate any FCC rules or risk fines & jail. There seems to be a fair number of samples online of drone vids in NY. Are all of them doing it illegally?

As far as calling the port authority. Yes I can and probablywl do that. But my experience with calling public entities has been that I get some low level civil servant that has no Fxxxing clue what they are talking about and I get 4 different answers from 4 different people.

Reactions: dave kotinsky
Check here Don't Fly Drones Here then check here Guidelines for Filming and Photographing in New York City Parks : NYC Parks then here Permits - Brooklyn Bridge Park
Generally speaking, if you aren't making a huge production out of it (vans, tripods, lighting, etc), then you don't need a permit.

If you keep a low profile on the Brooklyn side, it's not really an issue. I haven't been able to find a spot in NYC that doesn't leave me sticking out like a sore thumb... plus there's the whole "flying over people" problem in the city, because people are everywhere. And don't try to fly from any of the bridges, they've got cameras everywhere and cops on both ends.

Good luck.

Check here Don't Fly Drones Here then check here Guidelines for Filming and Photographing in New York City Parks : NYC Parks then here Permits - Brooklyn Bridge Park Generally speaking, if you aren't making a huge production out of it (vans, tripods, lighting, etc), then you don't need a permit. If you keep a low profile on the Brooklyn side, it's not really an issue. I haven't been able to find a spot in NYC that doesn't leave me sticking out like a sore thumb... plus there's the whole "flying over people" problem in the city, because people are everywhere. And don't try to fly from any of the bridges, they've got cameras everywhere and cops on both ends. Good luck.
Check here Don't Fly Drones Here then check here Guidelines for Filming and Photographing in New York City Parks : NYC Parks then here Permits - Brooklyn Bridge Park Generally speaking, if you aren't making a huge production out of it (vans, tripods, lighting, etc), then you don't need a permit. If you keep a low profile on the Brooklyn side, it's not really an issue. I haven't been able to find a spot in NYC that doesn't leave me sticking out like a sore thumb... plus there's the whole "flying over people" problem in the city, because people are everywhere. And don't try to fly from any of the bridges, they've got cameras everywhere and cops on both ends. Good luck.

Thanks bbfpv!

The kind of info I need. No big productions. 2 guys, 2 drones at sunrise maybe by the Brooklyn Bridge park. Just want a sunrise skyline. No flying over people, definitely low profile at dawn.
If we only get time to burn one battery each, that will be cool.
I can do a lot in 18 minutes.....

If possible we may do a sunset similar thing, not sure where.
I just wanted to see what others experiences were and if the police would come swooping down on us for this.

Thanks bbfpv!

The kind of info I need. No big productions. 2 guys, 2 drones at sunrise maybe by the Brooklyn Bridge park. Just want a sunrise skyline. No flying over people, definitely low profile at dawn.
If we only get time to burn one battery each, that will be cool.
I can do a lot in 18 minutes.....

If possible we may do a sunset similar thing, not sure where.
I just wanted to see what others experiences were and if the police would come swooping down on us for this.
Cool. There's a pier at Exchange Place in Jersey City that has a ridiculous view of Freedom Tower. Sometimes there are cops parked down there, sometimes not, but I've always wanted to fly from there.

One thing I forgot to mention, be super careful of helicopters. There are a few heliports along both rivers, and the copters are frequent and low.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31