Flying a drone over an airport

Reaction score
Actually, it is a former airport. I got in contact with the owners of a farm in the lower Skagit Valley of western Washington state because their property used to be a private airport and was actually modelled by ORBX as an payware airport add-on to Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Lockheed Martin Prepar3D (Israel's Farm WA56). They graciously allowed to me to fly and video the property. The Israel's Farm FSX add-on is still available, although it is snapshot in time when the WA56 grass strip existed. It was a real trip to fly over and around the farm, though. It is nestled near the bank of the Skagit River and the day turned out to be very beautiful. I did use an ND32 filter for the first time and it worked great in such bright conditions, with no highlights blown out and no shadow clipping. The fences were electrified and although I calibrated the compass as far away as I could, I think it affected the bird to a minor extent. Anyway, enjoy! ...and many thanks to Dan and Miriam for letting fly over their property!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: mikeshin
Excellent shots and commentary. Very cool. How many flights/batteries did you end up using? I also noticed very subtle camera shakes when you were panning certain shots - was it very windy?

Reactions: shipdriver
The commentary was very educational. Pilots should do more of that about the interesting places they fly. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: shipdriver
Excellent shots and commentary. Very cool. How many flights/batteries did you end up using? I also noticed very subtle camera shakes when you were panning certain shots - was it very windy?
Thanks! I made with video with 4 flights/batteries. It certainly wasn't windy at ground level but you can see some wind effects on the treetops. All but one of the panning shots were using the POI function. The lone manual pan started at 3:28. I have noticed subtle shakes before and have always considered the gimbal on the P3 consumer-grade. If that is not normal, I wonder if there is some miniscule binding in the gimbal. I did have a couple of disconnects at short ranges but there was electric fence between me and the drone at the time, and it did happen during a POI operation but it just stopped by itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31