Flyaways?

Reaction score
Hi I don't have a P3 yet but am concerned about how many flyaways I read about, is this a commen problem that should be a big concern? Or is it very rare but seems more of a problem because forums allow these things to seem bigger than they are????

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It seems to be a pretty rare occurrence. How many have you read about?

There seems to be quite a few on the forum in the last week.....

Are you counting the flyaways caused by pilot error? How many flights do you think people had in the last week that did not result in flyaways? Something tells me we're looking at skewed data here.

most problems you hear about are pilot era not understanding bird before they use it like anything else need to learn and read before you operate it

These things always seem worse than they are on forums, the joy of the net.....

You got it. Things are often blown way out of proportion on the Internet.

True flaways were not that uncommon with the P1 and P2. DJI seems to have found and fixed the problem as they are rare with the P3 and P4.

Just make sure your bird knows it's home point, knows where north is BEFORE you arm the motors ....and most of all be ready to hit the HW switch to knock off gps if you get a sniff something is wrong ....

I also think people blame a flyaway for error in hopes of a replacement

Reactions: flpholt
Hi I don't have a P3 yet but am concerned about how many flyaways I read about, is this a common problem that should be a big concern? Or is it very rare but seems more of a problem because forums allow these things to seem bigger than they are????
The Phantom 3 has remarkably few real flyaways.
They are exceptionally rare but reading the forums you could be excused for getting the impression this is not the case.
Here's an article that gives a real perspective on the flyaway myth
Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers

In case of a GPS malfunction, you can always take control in Atti mode to fly home, using the live video feed. As long as you have sufficient attitude to avoid running into trees, houses and hills, you should not have a problem.

//Tom

Last edited:
You got it. Things are often blown way out of proportion on the Internet.

But if it's on the internet, isn't it true??

lol... just kidding...

Like someone else mentioned, I think most of it is with users not being familiar with the Phantom before flying. I came from a P2, and have only had my P3P for a few weeks, and I'm still not doing anything crazy yet, not until I get a lot more flying under my belt so I'll know what to do just in case... even go as far as writing up a pre-flight checklist so you won't miss anything before a flight...

Flyaways are not a myth. More blame the pilot nonsense. Consider the source. Paid for by DJI.
Syotr ... as far as I know, you don't have a P3 yet you are making claims about P3 flyaways and using old threads about P2s and earlier models as justification.
The P3 is a huge leap in technology past the old P2s that you are familiar with and records remarkably few flyaways.
It's a very different bird and has a data recorder that can show exactly what happened in a flight and whether it was a DJI tech problem or user error.
As for the comment about something being paid for by DJI, I'm not sure what that refers to but I certainly have no connection with them beyond buying their products with my own money and as far as I know that article was also independent of DJI.

When I first got my P3A I read these forums and horror stories about flyaways and the drones dropping out of the sky and it made me a nervous wreck. After having it a month, I am so confident that I don't have these worries anymore because I learned from many of you on this forum. As for flyaways, if you experience this, the best thing to do appears to be to flip it to ATTI mode. Your compass will still work and your "radar" scope will still show you the way. I haven't had this happen yet, but I made sure to understand the real time telemetry and the countermeasures necessary to bring the bird home if something happens. Just don't get complacent and if something goes wrong, just relax and use your head. You'll be fine.

Reactions: HWCM and kenjancef

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen