Flyaway poll?

Reaction score
Would there be poll on how many have experienced flyaways?
I've seen it mentioned that most could be pilot error, but I've had +75 flights, so I knew what I was doing, and the video clearly shows it taking off on its own. Found it 3 days later.
http://www.photographybay.com/2013/07/2 ... d-cameras/
An interesting article with interesting comments.
I'll see if I can get mine fixed, and if I do, there will be a string attached, just like a kite.

Marc70 said:
http://youtu.be/DK32AD6yMEY
Shortened the whole video to just the sad part. As you can see, I'm in the bush, just a few cottages around, no cell towers or anything of the sort.
Yep classic flyaway. Phantom v1 are prone to flyaway. I assume that's what you have. Version 2 seems to have almost eliminated that problem with flyaways attributed to user error or other environmental interference. Hence you won't find many threads on phantom 2 flyaways.

Ya but this is v1.1.1, which I thought was pretty well cured of flyaways. As mentioned before, I've got +75 flights in, several at this same location. There's more of the video beforehand, so what suddenly caused this, ~5min into the flight?
I've heard the gopro's sometimes have the wifi turn itself on for no reason, but couldn't tell 3days later when I found it.

Marc70 said:
Ya but this is v1.1.1, which I thought was pretty well cured of flyaways. As mentioned before, I've got +75 flights in, several at this same location. There's more of the video beforehand, so what suddenly caused this, ~5min into the flight?
I've heard the gopro's sometimes have the wifi turn itself on for no reason, but couldn't tell 3days later when I found it.

Ah sorry, you're right. I'm not sure what could have caused it. Seriously hope it's not the old flyaway or spirit of Colin Quinn coming back to haunt us.

It would also be important to gather if there was a camera attached?
Have you seen bone stock phantom flyaways?

I have read one user on Facebook get really mad that is Phantom 2 Vision had a flyaway.
Turns out he unpacked it and flew it after he charged the battery.,,
I asked him ih he calibrated anything, even did the compass dance. Anything.

He charged the battery, polugged it in, turned everything on and flew it. Do you consider this a flyaway?? I surely don't.

Vision users also reported that when there Phantom acted like a flyaway was about to occur, they notice prior that there satelite signal went from whatever to zero in one shot. After a short period they come back. So it doesn't seem to be the Tx signal.

GMANNZ said:
I did notice snow falling in some of the frames .... might have got a snowflake through one of the vents, melted and then ....... ?? :?:

Snow? Or a prop nut? Or part of a prop? Something fell into the camera's view just before it takes off.

Prop & nuts all attached after crash.
I've flown in a bit of snow before, but could be it.
In the discussions of
http://www.photographybay.com/2013/07/2 ... d-cameras/
There's a lot of guys who've had flyaways that seemed to experience the same situation: just takes off like mad in one direction.
There's even a YouTube vid of a guys flyaway that takes off backwards, crashes through the tree tops and makes it out overwater.
But then it comes back.
Just seems weird how it acts perfect one second and goes nuts the next.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4