Flyaway and Spin Issues

Reaction score
I have been following all the threads discussing flyaways and spinning issues. A buddy of mine has had a few similar issues. One thing that I have noticed that might be a trend.... When he got his Phantom he took it out and flew it many times without issue. The problems started once he went into the software and changed configurations. It seems the phantom has never been the same since.

I have been flying my Phantom since day one almost every day with over 100 flights without any issue. My phantom shipped with version 3.1.4, same as my buddy's. the difference with me is that I have never downloaded or used the software for the phantom. Everything is the same since I removed it from the box.

Is it possible that once the phantom is connected with the software, something gets corrupted, or maybe the software doesn't correctly save the info to the phantom? DJI doesn't seem to be addressing the issue. I am just trying to see if there is some sort of trend happening to help solve the issue.

Please chime in with your thoughts!

I think you are probably right. They all get pre-programmed in China, and when they were converting things, some of
the Chinese characters just didn't translate, so the program filled in the gaps the best it could. It figured that maybe not
every single little thing was there, but it was close enough. :mrgreen:

I posted this already in the classifieds section, but as I know this is a sore spot with some who have experienced flyaways, I'll repeat it here. About a week and a half ago I experienced a flyaway. Prior to the incident, the phantom lost all power, and came crashing down from about 50 feet. I don't know what caused it, perhaps a battery not seated well enough... I don't know yet, but my mistake was not recalibrating the phantom or the compass before testing it to make sure it was ok. I immediately flew it again to test it, and it took off in one direction, not heeding the controls. I performed a fail safe, and thought I was ok as it was coming back. It stopped above me for a few seconds, but instead of landing, it all of the sudden took off on it's own in another direction. That was the last I saw of it... until yesterday. I bought another phantom to use as reconnaissance with a gopro. After 3 days and lots of logging footage... SUCCESS! I found it a mile away on the slope of a gravel pit.
Here's a frame grab of my phantom on the ground as seen from the new phantom. Oh joy!!!

Attachments

• GOPRStill001.jpg
    GOPRStill001.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 639
Gizmo3000 said:
Cool that you located your lost Phantom!
I'm sure you're anxious to see the footage it shot!
I didn't have a gopro on it at the time of the flyaway. I was relieved I didn't lose that too, but now in hindsight, I wish I would have had a camera on it.

Yeah, I passed over that area a week before and missed it. After this spot, I went back and did a low level to make sure. Small little bugger...

It was upside down, dirty and I had to replace a couple blades, but after calibrating it and resetting the compass, it works perfectly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20