Fly phantom 3 over Mardi Gras parade

Reaction score
Thinking I should go get footage of the Mardi Gras parade here in Houma , la. But it's a night parade. Might not come out as expected

If your not comfortable I would suggest auto mode, you are likely to be fully occupied trying to avoid injuring a participant or spectator to adjust exposure in flight and it's likely lighting will vary significantly.

It's always recommended to stay away from crowded events where your p3 could injure someone if it crashed. If you fly low expect some idiot to throw beads or something stupid at it trying to make it crash. Just me 2 cents. You've been warned.

Thinking I should go get footage of the Mardi Gras parade here in Houma , la. But it's a night parade. Might not come out as expected
It's always recommended to stay away from crowded events where your p3 could injure someone if it crashed. If you fly low expect some idiot to throw beads or something stupid at it trying to make it crash. Just me 2 cents. You've been warned.

Where I'm at the route runs along a bayou/ canal if anything I would stay over the canal so worst case make a water landing. U are right about the beads to the prop thing , too much low light I'll probably not do it at night

Where I'm at the route runs along a bayou/ canal if anything I would stay over the canal so worst case make a water landing. U are right about the beads to the prop thing , too much low light I'll probably not do it at night
Keep in mind this a Mardi Gras parade

Where everyone is drunk and people throw anything and everything at you! Beeds , footballs , snack cakes. , a lot more people have gotten hurt at parades then by drones by 100 fold I'm betting

Bear in mind flying a quadcopter at low altitudes over a crowd of people could constitute reckless endangerment in jurisdictions that have such a statute. If you lose control of your quadcopter and it injures someone, in these circumstances state assault laws could be used for punishment. Some of these charges carry a large fine and could leave you in prison for up to 7 years. Given these laws, i’d recommend not flying a drone over crowds of people.

Also you need a safe place to land after 20 minutes of flying.

Thanks for the input guys. I live in southern Louisiana and landscapes get boring quick.

You know what they say about IF"s

If my aunt had a *****, she"d be my uncle

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I flew over the Krew of Titans right in front of the mall last Saturday.. People seemed okay with it, but saw a P2 get knocked out of the sky with a spear in Lafayette last year. Be careful with the drunks.

Edit: I didn't know anyone else in the area flew.. Would be nice to get together with another local pilot to fly sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: LamboH
Well dang guys! We need to have a meetup! (I actually live in Lafayette, but dating a girl in Lockport so I'm in the area quite frequently)

I'd chime in with the avoid-hitting-spectators-because-it's-bad-for-our-reputation argument and also point out that if you are close enough that somebody might brain your bird with a random object you are also in the neighborhood of power lines and other hard to see obstructions. It's hard enough to see that stuff during the day.

Personally, I'd just get drunk with the rest of the crazies.

In answer to your original question - i fly at night in las vegas. I use regular 4 k setting. I did lower my kelvin to 4800 for low light in 4k 2k on a pro. and to what the rest said I would clear it with the parade co-ordinateors and local police before ending up on the news. make sure you are using running guards for your blades. (19.00 on amazon) most likely the parade committee will say yes if you tell them you have safety guards and likely want a copy for them selves. this way you end up the hero not a zero. the will even give you a spot to take off and land. its easier to work with people then against them. I would also put lights on your drone (ebay and amazon) see my video on light installation on youtube. and have lots of batteries - and return flight at 20 % to have reserves to make sure it get back ok.

I would like to see as well but in the UK we are banned from flying over crowded areas and buildings. Just don't be that guy who cuts through someone's face after it gets knocked out of the sky by a drunk.

Yea I'm gonna wait for day parades. Was already drunk when the idea came about and upon scouting areas to fly/hover. There's power lines galore that I'd like to see in the day time instead of not at all at night

Will update with videos

Reactions: RayH

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4