Fly-aways Limit Max altitude

Reaction score
I plan to fly well beneath a CTR which starts at 1200ft.
Under no circumstance can i exceed that altitude. Busy airport approach/ departure above 1200.

No problem if the phantom behaves. But now im thinking fly-aways.
Will limiting the phantom max altitude to say 800ft keep it below 800 even in a fly-away situation?

sling p2v+ said:
Will limiting the phantom max altitude to say 800ft keep it below 800 even in a fly-away situation?
I don't know if anyone will be able to answer that question definitively. . .
My P2V flew back to Shenzhen, China on its 100th mission (I call this the DJI Diamond Anniversary phenomenon ;) ) and still to this day I have no idea why. My top four guesses would be:
1.) High winds aloft
2.) RF Interference (I flew about 500 feet above a cell tower)
3.) Flight Controller glitch / failure
4.) Battery failure

So to answer your question (with a S.W.A.G.) I would say "probably". Depending on what caused the "Fly-Away". However, if you experience a Flight Controller glitch / failure, I'd say all bets are off. I'm guessing anything could happen in that scenario. . .

@MalPV2

About 20km horizontally from the nearest runway. Nearest GND-3000 CTR boundary (which I may not enter ofcourse) is much closer though, 7km.

In the image I attached you can see I would like to fly under a "connected" CTR which starts at 1200ft. Its allowed. Im just thinking...what if? it decides to lauch itself to above 1200? That why I would like to know what the phantom does with its set vertical limits during fly-away...

Attachments

• EHAM CTR.jpg
    EHAM CTR.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 580
I like your responsible thinking but to be honest as its already been said I dont think your question would be able to be answered. I wouldn't be too concerned about flyaways. They really are a thing of the past. I've read very few real cases of flyaways in the last 9 months, maybe due to dji software upgrades. Most cases reported can be put down to pilot error like being in atti mode without realising and it being taken away by high winds or people losing LOS and not being able to bring their phantom home due to maybe not waiting to set a home point. My advice is to enjoy your flying and learn everything about how she flys. People can get a little too paranoid sometimes. If she's gonna disappear you either have to know how to react quickly or she'll be gone on you. Sorry I couldnt have answered your question better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl