Fly Aways - An opinion

Reaction score
Hi All...

I am a fairly new Phantom pilot and I have read with interest (and horror) about the so called "Fly Aways" and I thought I might like to share this information with you...

I have just installed the 2.4G Datalink and Ground Station on my Phantom and as I was playing with the iPad and PC software I discovered this: With the iPad app there is an option where you can toggle the map view to show either your iPad location or the Phantom location. When I first toggled this to show my Phantom location - it was rotor-free at the time with no GPS lock - it scared the life out of me! The default home point is in China. With rotors, if I had pressed "Go" my Phantom would presumably have tried to fly home!

It is the same on the PC software. There is a config file that actually contains latitude/longitude settings for the "Home Point".... and this is set actually to China by default. I'm assuming this is also true of the NAZA firmware.

So, it could be that if a Phantom hasn't registered a Home Point before take off, and then loses connection to the transmitter, when Failsafe is engaged it simply tries to fly home to the default Home Point.... China.

So is this where all those fly-away Phantoms are making for?

:lol: Maybe that is what DJI are up to! We think a flown away/missing Phantom auto landed but instead it triggered " RTC (Return to China), switched to a super secret, mega battery saving mode and is in fact on the long journey over seas as we speak to report video back! :lol:

Seriously though I like this theory and glad you put it out there.

Personaly I don't think it will be the case but it is certainly one to add to the gazzwillion of theories on it so far. Frankly it would be totally understandable if it was the case! We already know Phantoms are pre-programmed not to fly withing 5km of Tianimun Square in China so anything is possible!

slightly off topic, i am interested in this ground station app but just invested in some fpv kit instead, do you think its possible to use my new Dji 500mW Tx Rx unit instead of buying the dji 2.4 setup?
would i just then need to buy the BTU?
I AM A NEWBIE , before you all come back with your sarcastic nonsense.
I have a tight wallet but really need ground station or something similar that aids BVR flight.
Open to any suggestions? is there a way to display my phantom on google maps for instance?
Waypoints not needed yet just location and tracking.

cawthornish said:
slightly off topic, i am interested in this ground station app but just invested in some fpv kit instead, do you think its possible to use my new Dji 500mW Tx Rx unit instead of buying the dji 2.4 setup?
would i just then need to buy the BTU?
I AM A NEWBIE , before you all come back with your sarcastic nonsense.
I have a tight wallet but really need ground station or something similar that aids BVR flight.
Open to any suggestions? is there a way to display my phantom on google maps for instance?
Waypoints not needed yet just location and tracking.

No, The FPV transmitter is video only. The ground station has a data link transmitter and it is not meant for the Phantom. The thing is larger than a battery and needs to be strapped onto the outside of a Phantom.

Also, are you new to RC and FPV? That FPV kit needs an amateur radio license to operate legally. Yes the FCC will come down on you for running a 500mW transmitter without a license. Unfortunately they are closed at the moment and not issuing licenses.

Although the ground station is not specifically designed for the Phantom it can be connected to the NAZA v2 (or NAZA v1 with PMU upgrade) quite easily with a CANBUS lead. The data link module that connects to the Phantom is certainly not larger than a battery. It is less than half the size of a credit card and only 10mm thick. There isn't quite enough room inside the standard Phantom (with NAZA v1) but probably would be with the full upgrade board and NAZA v2. I have installed the PMU upgrade module and made a small hole in the Phantom for the CANBUS lead. I have then attached the data link to the underside using Velcro.

As for flying BVR - it depends where you live but this is probably illegal even if you have a license.

The iPad or PC software does display the location of the Phantom on a map.

DataLink 2.4GHz GS

I am planning to buy the 2.4GHz GS, and I have some questions for the pilots that already have one. 1) what happen if you plan a route and the phantom lost reception with the GS before finished the mission (it will finish the mission anyway? or will return to home). 2) I have the Phantom 2 Vision and this one transmit the video thru WiFi 2.4GHz, this will cause any interference with the GS?, because are working in the same frequency.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20