Fly Away (or not) Survey?

Reaction score
I've read a lot about the fly away problem and there's a lot of speculation and guess work out there.

Rather than speculate I'd like to take a more scientific look at the problem, so I was thinking of putting a survey together. The idea would be to collect information both from those that have experienced fly away issues, but also from those that have not. Ask some questions such as:
- How many flights have you made and have you ever experienced a fly away problem?
- Did you get full GPS lock before flying?
- What mode where you in?
- Was the battery low?
- How much experience flying do you have?
etc.

Analyzing the data should help clear up whether there is a real problem or the problem appears to be user error. And if the problem is user error we might be able to identify some common mistakes that people are making and, hopefully, produce a cheat sheet to avoid fly away problems in the future.

I'm willing to do the analysis and have a lot of experienced crunching numbers, but I don't want to do that if the response is going to be tiny.

What do you think? Something YOU would be interested in? :?:

Great. Thanks for the quick response.

I tried a search for Survey but didn't see that - I will admit that I didn't follow it through all 23 pages. Unfortunately Fly Away kept getting removed from the search results as those two words were too common, and putting quotes around it didn't help.

I'll take a look at that thread.

No problem. Hopefully saves you the time of starting a new one from scratch. I found the google document mentioned in the first post on that thread to be quite detailed.

Mine would of been a fly away if I didnt have 6+ sats.
Lost R/C at fairly close range. Wouldnt respond to any inputs....11 sats.. 30-40 flights.. 60% battery. Gps mode.. was just hovering about fine then no control when I tried to move it.

No error on screen but it eventually detected loss and RTH like its supposed to but if I didnt have sats it would of kept flying. Had to reboot phantom to regain R/C.
Thinking about it I wonder if I could of pressed RTH in GS as that was still working fine.

I think not having 6+ is a big contributor to fly aways

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl