Fly away into the drink

Reaction score
I took my quad to Kelowna BC with hopes of getting some nice video over Okanagan Lake. Did my preflight (yup, I calibrated), launched off the dock, everything looked great. Throttled up and forward and she flew nicely for about 30 seconds... and then

No control, pitched left and started a descent right into the lake. If you could only see the look on my face.

The good news is I had a getterback on the landing struts and because of that I was able to locate and retrieve it. I definitely recommend you invest in one if you fly it over water, it works as advertised and saved my quad. (See attached pic of the used getterback)

I ripped apart the quad, had to dissemble two of the brushless motors to remove sand and grit (used cans of compressed air) and finished off with electric contact cleaner. Two days later and she's flying again. But...

I cannot get her to hover, even with 8 sats. Not sure if it's interference, the fact we are in a valley or what. Tried an advanced calibration and still no luck. So sad, so much great video footage can be had around here but I know she'll flyaway again if I send her off to do some great video.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409285085557.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409285085557.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 638
those getterback things look awesome!! no more swimming

I lost a few quads flying fast over water lol lucky

To bad about the crash!

How did you have the getterback mounted? Horizontal (like me on the bottom strut) or vertical?

thats exactly what happened to mine too, but in my case it took me 4 days to get it back, totally dead now....

So the getterback can hold the weight of the bird.
Good to know, but i'm going to make my own getterback.

When I lost my P2V in a lake it too had problems hovering and generally staying stable. I later learned the NAZA module is not water tight and likely got water in it. I didn't try opening the NAZA to dry it out the first time. After a couple of months it never got any better so I replaced the NAZA module. (and new motors) Flies perfectly now.

Geo

ToThePoint said:

No it does not hold the weight, a float rises to the surface and you pull the string.

It didn't have to, the quad was resting on the bottom of the lake. The getterback has plenty of line in it.

N017RW said:
ToThePoint said:

No it does not hold the weight, a float rises to the surface and you pull the string.

I know that.
I referred to holding the weight as the kevlar string does snap when up lift that bird from the deep as some suggested here on the forum.

I pulled it out by the string with no problem. The string is VERY strong and could easily pull up something heavier.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20