Fly away after Flytrex

Reaction score
I have a phantom V2+. I have connected my flytrex live which is working.

I have done the recalibration (advanced) but I don't get the green check mark at the end. the calibration numbers appear ok

i have calibrated the sticks, and have 7 satellites
When I take off the phantom has a mind of its own. it just starts to fly away. I am in GPs mode. This has happened three times now, two crashes and one save

any thoughts?

Did you also calibrate the compass outdoors?

Regards, Gerd

I wouldn't fly it after IMU calibration and NO green check mark. That usually indicates it's not finnished. Try reloading default parameters from "Tools" page then doing an advanced IMU calibration. Note: if you're doing it on a MAC, discard your old software and reload. The early MAC edition had all kinds of bugs in it (DJI won't acknowledge since revising) Reloading defaults and recalibrating EVERYTHING should clear up your erratic flights.

I have reloaded 3.2 for the mac. I did have an early addition.
How do I reload default parameters from tools?
I appreciate your help!!

Does the RC need to be on during the imi calabration?

I clicked on reset BTU
I appreciate your help!!

I got the check mark but it still flew away and its not stable

familyman5821 said:

I clicked on reset BTU
I appreciate your help!!

I got the check mark but it still flew away and its not stable

Ok if you got check mark you should now do compass cal (AKA compass dance) And yes you should have Rx on during IMU cal. While at it you should cal sticks. (under Basic RC)

This is a better summery

I would sure appreciate any thoughts.
yesterday i added my flytrex live, which was working. to my PV2+
when i took the top of the shell off on the PV2+ to connect the gps wires, the only connection from the shell to the board was the GPS.

Am I missing a connection from the top of the shell to the phantom?

My first fight I had 7 satellite locks. i took off and the phantom went crazy, flying right and left. Did not respond to controls and crashed into the grass. Only prop damage.

I have since done advanced IMU calabration x 2- No change. Still won't stay in one area. Doesn't really hover, it just takes off I remain in gps phantom GPS mode, and both switches are in the up position. It was working fine before I put the flytrex live in

I rechecked the flytrap cable and they were tight.- Same problem
I took the flytrex cable out, still have the flytrex on board, but only connected to power. Same issue
Today I switched to NAZA mode and than switched back to phantom mode to try and set defaults.
I always have a good satellite lock

I have calibrated the sticks to the controller and than from the controller to the phantom numerous times
any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have attached some pictures of my current calibration

still flies away.
i have calibrated imu
Flytrex was picking up my location prior to me removing the cable

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 599
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 544
Your IMU looks in range.
I'll ignore your compass as you are indoors next to a PC.
Go outside do compass dance.
Then power up your phantom with no props and wait for sat >6 and then check your radar and see if distance is 0.0. This means you have a home lock. If you do, then fly.

If this fails, then test if the NAZA and IMU is faulty. Find an open field with low winds. Take off in ATTI mode and see if she does any thing crazy. The naza is self adjusting at all times to stay stabilised. The NAZA could be confused and falsely readjusting it self. My mates F450 always veered to the right until it crashed. On closer inspection, the NAZA had came lose from a previous crash. So maybe check if the NAZA is installed correctly and levelled as per the phantom.

You might also want to do the RC controller calibration through the assistant.
With the latest update in software I had to do mine for the first time after the update.

Everything you describe sounds like an uncalibrated compass.
Nothing in your posts indicates whether you calibrated the compass after installing the flytex live.
You will need to recalibrate the compass after installing since it will interfere with the compass.
Calibrate your compass outdoors away from all things metallic and then do a low hover check.

A confirmation check would be to try flying in Atti mode. If it doesn't fly off and crash in atti mode, your compass is out of whack.

A hover check is increasing throttle until you are hovering about eye level or as low as you are comfortable with.
Don't give any input and watch for it to stabilize into a steady hover. If it's circling, drifting around or acting erratic bring it down asap.
If it does hold position in a stable hover, slowly rotate in place 360 degrees. Switch to atti mode quickly if you notice any wild erratic movement in response to yaw input and get it on the ground asap.
These are all signs that the compass is not calibrated or is being interfered with by something near it.

Thanks for your help. i have done the compass dance a few times.
I have just recalibrated the IMU. I will go out side to check the compass again. I have attached a picture of where the flytrex is attached to the phantom V2+.

I do get the green lights during and after the dance. I was thinking of taking off the flytrex to see if it works. Currently I have the power still connected, but I have reconnected the gps cord to the phantom V2+.

I

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 419
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 290
I see your power wire going inside but where is the data connector? Also, where did you solder the power leads into the Phantom's electronics? I have my live mounted like your's, only I faced the SIM slot towards the rear so it didn't interfere with the battery release. I have noticed no difference in the performance of the aircraft since installation.

Just ordered another flytrex core 2 for my back-up P2V. I can't see any reason to get frustrated with the Live. :lol:

I'm not sure the Live itself has anything to do with the issue you are experiencing. Even though the problem began when the Live was installed, I suspect it was something that happened during the installation. How/where did you connect the Live into the Phantom's power system?

I took the flytrex off disconnecting the power source. i had one of the local hobby shops due the soldering for me. Here are the pictures. I am still having the same problem. i have recalibrated the imu, did the compass dance. I did notice that after I flick the switch 5 times to do the compass calibration, it turns green quickly.

So Im back to the original PV2+. It appears to want to fly backwards or to the left. This is the same behavior that it has been having during the install, so I guess I must have done something to screw things up.

I checked all the connections and everything seems ok.

Interestingly, some times the advanced calibration doesn't always work and I need to start over. i have done this on a mac and a pc

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I have always been in phantom gps mode

You all are so nice to help

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 302
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 270
familyman5821 said:
I took the flytrex off disconnecting the power source. i had one of the local hobby shops due the soldering for me. Here are the pictures. I am still having the same problem. i have recalibrated the imu, did the compass dance. I did notice that after I flick the switch 5 times to do the compass calibration, it turns green quickly.

So Im back to the original PV2+. It appears to want to fly backwards or to the left. This is the same behavior that it has been having during the install, so I guess I must have done something to screw things up.

I checked all the connections and everything seems ok.

Interestingly, some times the advanced calibration doesn't always work and I need to start over. i have done this on a mac and a pc

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I have always been in phantom gps mode

You all are so nice to help

Successful advance IMU is done when phantom is cold.
Make sure its been off for more than 20 minutes.
Take off gimbal clamp.
Leave phantom off and plugged in the USB. Start the Phantom assist and have the advance IMU screen ready.
Turn on phantom and start IMU calibration immediately. You will get the green tick in 2 minutes.

I notice the longer you leave in idle, the longer it takes for calibration.
Never leave your phantom on idle. There is no instructions but the phantom has poor cooling system. The phantom relies on the prop wash to cool. I still wonder how the WIFI module stays cool without a fan.

Back on topic...
Also try:
Start the RC assist and calibrate transmitter. Close when done.
Start Phantom Assist and Calibrate transmitter. Close when done.

Did you do the advanced calibration on a level/flat surface. I mean did you check that surface is really horizontal with a
ihandy-waterpas-5.jpg

yes

I was able to calibrate, the phantom after doing the compass dance and getting good satellite 6+ connections still wants to take off and go to the left and back.

It is moving fast

familyman5821 said:

One thing I am curious about: Before installing my Live, I read some folks attached to the ESC power point where your Live is connected. The main PCB power point is hidden beneath the Wi-Fi module. When I installed my Live, I found that the ESC power points did not have 12 volts available when the Phantom is turned on. I assume the 12 volts becomes available after the motors are engaged? As I wanted my Live to power on with the aircraft, I removed the Wi-Fi module and tapped into the main feed. When you first power on your Phantom, does the Live turn on right away, or does it turn on AFTER you start the motors?

I am doubtful this has anything to do with your issue since the Live probably draws a minimal amount of current, but I am curious.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1