Fly at your own risk for the next week or so

Yesterday using the hover app, the kp index was at 8. I didn't notice anything wrong with my bird so I wonder if one really has to worry about it.

Yesterday using the hover app, the kp index was at 8. I didn't notice anything wrong with my bird so I wonder if one really has to worry about it.
all depends on how much you want to gamble with a thousand dollar boat anchor falling from the sky if GPS gets wonky.

This comes up again and again.
Part of the fun for some is to bathe in the minutia.

This is one of those things some people can't let go of.

Reactions: rrmccabe
The K index popped up to 8 last night which is really high but as has been said many times already, it will make will make very little difference and most everyone won't notice a thing. Practice ATTI if you want to be extra safe.

OP, moving this to the General section as it is not P3 specific.

I've been filming my birds from the ground so that if they go haywire you will get to watch... :D

Hey someone call Mythbusters to finally put this one to bed, Adam Savage flies an inspire ;)
I see it as hysteria and a myth every time this comes up.

Reactions: IrishSights
images2.jpg

:D

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Last edited:
Nasa thinks that GPS is affected from solar storms.
http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/spaceweather.htm
Yes .. NASA thinks intense radio emission from flares and these changes in the atmosphere can degrade the precision of Global Positioning System (GPS) measurements.
But that comment doesn't say HOW MUCH it degrades the position.
News media love to get hysterical about this sort of thing.
The sky MIGHT fall, asteroids MIGHT hit earth.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Rather than non-specific hysteria, here's some real information on potential impact.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/solar-flares.35796/#post-331319

My Phantom does not require the same precision NASA does.

I've never cared about space weather and never had any problem I couldn't explain otherwise.

My Phantom is a model aircraft and I fly it as such. Getting all wrapped up in this or that to fabricate reasons not to fly is overcomplicating something meant to be fun.

Yes .. NASA thinks intense radio emission from flares and these changes in the atmosphere can degrade the precision of Global Positioning System (GPS) measurements.
But that comment doesn't say HOW MUCH it degrades the position.
News media love to get hysterical about this sort of thing.
The sky MIGHT fall, asteroids MIGHT hit earth.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Rather than non-specific hysteria, here's some real information on potential impact.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/solar-flares.35796/#post-331319

You forgot the dead rising from the grave. :D

I fly at my own risk every day.

Buzzy, please consider before posting. Your headline isn't about solar storms and you include no information about the link you post. Also, this is a duplicate subject. A solar storm thread was started yesterday.

Last edited:
funnysmiley89.gif
Flew a lot better in 12 mph winds this evening maybe this morning poor flight conditions were due solar winds .

My pro went to hell today... I had to override and bring it in manually.. with lots of left-right movements that I wouldn't have appeared normal in typical manual flight mode.

Just like the movie 2012 where in the first opening scene the Indian physicist claims the Earth's core is heating up because the "The Neutrinos have mutated" ( neutrinos have zero mass and no charge so not a lot to mutate) there is a lot of bad science in the popular press.

Prior to my medical retirement I worked in space communications and the major threat from solar emissions to the Satellites we flew was disruption to the electrical circuitry due to induced currents from the electro motive force. We didn't see any detrimental influence to the onboard magnetometers or GPS systems.

I've flown my Phantom, Naza V2 Hex, and 3DR equipped fixed wings in supposedly dangerous space weather conditions and never experienced any adverse performance.

Regards

Nidge

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.