Fly-a-Ways...Could it be???

Reaction score
Could it be as simple as a C clip getting wedged up in the motor and restricting it's motor or stopping it all together? Where it causes the other motors to try to get the Phantom back to a normal flight that it (the Phantom) does not respond what our tx is telling it (the Phantom) what to do. I know for a fact that on a hard landing (Crash) my C clip has come off the bottom of my motor. The first time it did it the C clip wedged up in the engine so bad that I couldn't spin it (motor). I broke down Phantom pulled the motor apart and got the C clip off the inside of the propeller housing and went back flying with no problem. I got lucky so to speak.

What I am trying to say is: 1) That C clip does not have to be on and you can have perfectly good fight or several. 2) You could do just the right move in flight and cause that C clip to go up into the engine and cause a parcel or full engine failure. 3) I think this is what causing some of the Fly-a-ways.

C clip in the motor would cause the motor to stop, a quad with 3 motors will not fly very far it will come down pretty quickly. It will be an uncontrolled decent that leads to a crash but not possibly to make it flyaway in a random direction. If a motor was to get much tighter but not completely stopped this could cause it to fly in a certain direction if this motor can still give lift but not full power it would confuse the naza. C clip in a motors will not allow it ti rotate at all though so that would cause a crash not flyway.

OK I will admit I am probably thinking to far out of the box, but it can cause an engine to fail, and it is a easy check on the preflight or every time there is a blade strike. Just grab the prop and pull. If the prop and the engine housing comes off then you need to replace the C clip before flying again.

The Key thing is there could be engine failure with a loose C clip laying around underneath the engine.

martcerv said:
C clip in the motor would cause the motor to stop, a quad with 3 motors will not fly very far it will come down pretty quickly. It will be an uncontrolled decent that leads to a crash but not possibly to make it flyaway in a random direction. If a motor was to get much tighter but not completely stopped this could cause it to fly in a certain direction if this motor can still give lift but not full power it would confuse the naza. C clip in a motors will not allow it ti rotate at all though so that would cause a crash not flyway.

I dunno, I had exactly that problem. When I got my Phantom new, from the first flight I noticed that one of the props spun up slower and stopped sooner than the other three. Spinning it by hand you could easily tell it was binding a bit, but the Phantom flew fine and I didn't know much better so I lived with it.

After about 10 flights, I took off one time and after about 10 seconds of hover, it pitched to the right and flew straight into a tree trunk without losing any altitude. I was only about 8 feet off the ground, but I can easily extrapolate that if the tree weren't there, it would have simply flown off. Fortunately only very superficial damage, although I lost two props. Better than losing the quad, though. :)

In any case, that sticky motor was now even harder to rotate, and I do surmise that the ESC just couldn't get it up to speed anymore and so it tilted down on that corner and flew that way. When I pulled the motor, the circlip and bottom bushing were both up inside the housing and causing it to bind.

Not saying that explains every flyaway, but sure could explain some. Needless to say, I'm now sporting the T-motor Anti Gravs. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic