floating in circles?

Reaction score
So I'm a newbie Phantom 2 Vision pilot......took it up for the second time today, in a large soccer field with no obstructions. First flight went well...hovered perfectly....no issues. This time...everything starts out great...I eventually get it up to 250ft....life is good. I start to slowly bring it back down.....and by the time I'm 30 or 40ft off the ground, it starts flying in a large circle around me. I haven't touched the stick, but to bring it down. Prior to this, it was flying stable as can be. From reading the boards, it seems like maybe a compass miscalibration? I did calibrate the compass inside in my condo.....then flew it in a large open field. Would this cause it fly in such a circular pattern randomly? It also seemed to be off by about 40ft...as when I landed it, it said it was at 38ft altitude. Any advice is much appreciated.

Paul

You should calibrate ur compass in the field away from interference. Your condo probably wasn't the best place to calibrate.

I had a similar issue after I did a firmware update on my phantom 2. my quad was drooping to one side and would not keep stable. The problem was fixed when I plugged it into the assistant software and did and advanced calibration. I would also calibrate the control sticks just in case those are off.

Definitely don't calibrate indoors, or anywhere close to metal objects, reinforced concrete, drain covers, etc, etc. These can all give the compass a completely false impression of which way is which. You'll then get the GPS telling the flight controller one thing and the compass telling it another. Good job landing it safe and sound, next time calibrate again in the middle of the field.

I haven't updated the firmware....though it was just delivered about two weeks ago. Would it need an upgrade already?

hurler16 said:
I haven't updated the firmware....though it was just delivered about two weeks ago. Would it need an upgrade already?

Not sure if that is really the issue, but I would give it a try. I just got my phantom 2 about a week ago and it didn't have the latest firmware installed. everything is running perfect for me now. I would also re-calibrate everything after the firmware update, I needed to.

At first I thought you were joking when you said you calibrated your compass indoors.
If you actually did this, you couldn't have read anything about these. Because this is just the basic how to's.
This will sound harsh but why do you people even buy things like this?
You either have no common sense or are too lazy to read and understand the basics.

I see video after video of people incapable of even getting these things off of the ground without crashing them. It couldn't be more simpler than it is. A few simple guidelines, that's it.

You post your question on here like it is legitimate or something. After skipping over the tutorials up top or the DJI videos.

Read and understand at least something about these things before you use them. You people are going to hurt someone if you are truly this clueless.

I am sorry but I have no empathy for people like you. I actually almost enjoy hearing about people like you crashing these things, as long as you don't hurt anyone or anything. I don't like talking to people like this but some of you need to use your head a bit more.

Would be nice if we could force people to read the first couple sticky threads before being allowed to post. Over and over we see the same stupid questions asked over and over and what makes it worse we keep answering these questions over and over. That IS what stickies are for, right? So the forums don't get so clustered up that you can't find anything you want without digging through all of the same questions, thread after thread.

Most forums I have been a member of would not allow this. The best you would get with a repeated question would be, read the sticky or a link to the same. People don't want to read, they are lazy, they want everything right now.

But you know what, as they read through the stickies, they will find the answer to their question and you know what else?
They will learn a lot more in the process! So they may not come back with another repeated question.

Amen...

I just did a forum SEARCH. I chose the word circle. See how many hits you get. I got many pages. The first beyond this thread answered the question.

Nvr2fst said:
I just did a forum SEARCH. I chose the word circle. See how many hits you get. I got many pages. The first beyond this thread answered the question.

I get your point, but... Some people are not only new to the P2V, they're also new to Forums in general. Of the three stickies we currently have on this forum, only one is labeled as a Sticky. New visitors, even those who know what a Sticky is, wouldn't notice that they always float to the top. They should all be labeled similar to how iDrone labeled his. It would be pretty clear. IMHO... There should also be a Sticky stating exactly what you're saying...

STICKY: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THIS FORUM------

And inside of THAT Sticky should be the advice you're giving here. You feel up to creating that STICKY? It could go a long way toward solving this, admittedly irritating, problem.

-slinger

Could try it but how many would even read it. I still believe people are generally lazy any more and they want an instantaneous answer.

You may be right but I think most people nowadays have a basic understanding of forums.
I am talking about the ones a bit younger than us that were born into the web.
Years ago, when I was new to the internets, I got a couple tongue lashings and learned quickly.

Now look at me, I'm all growed up and smarter for it.

Nvr2fst said:

Could try it but how many would even read it. I still believe people are generally lazy any more and they want an instantaneous answer.

You may be right but I think most people nowadays have a basic understanding of forums.
I am talking about the ones a bit younger than us that were born into the web.
Years ago, when I was new to the internets, I got a couple tongue lashings and learned quickly.

Now look at me, I'm all growed up and smarter for it.

True... but if we had those Stickies laid out like that, we could just tell a wayward Noob... Didn't you read the flippin' Sticky that says "PLEASE READ THIS STICKY BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN THIS FORUM??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

You would think after spending this much money more people would want to understand a bit more about it rather than hitting the up stick and praying.

But I also see a crazy amount of people not caring to learn and just totally relying on RTH. Many can't even land these things. I came from Helis but even so flying and landing these things is just super simple.

I bet the DJI people are pulling their hair out wondering if there really is flyaway problems because of their flaws or in reality it is just these up and pray people. Or at least how much of either. I think it is both but I believe it is 90 % of the up and pray people.

@nve2fst that rant was unnecessary, you could of just answered his question. He mentioned that he wasn't a quad master like yourself. I'm new to this whole RC scene too, it's a bit confusing at first.

moveease said:
@nve2fst that rant was unnecessary, you could of just answered his question. He mentioned that he wasn't a quad master like yourself. I'm new to this whole RC scene too, it's a bit confusing at first.

Didn't need to answer it. It has been answered maybe 100 times or more here. Sorry. I generally don't like getting on people but more times than not they know how this works they are just lazy.

He paid how much for that thing? He doesn't want to know how to use it? How to set it up properly first? No compassion here. Sorry. He will just have to learn before he destroys it or hurts somebody because he doesn't have the patience to read.

I see so many people on here reading everything they can before theirs even arrives. That is where my compassion and appreciation lies.

No, not changing my thoughts on this one, sorry.

I am not a quad master. But I did play one on TV.........or was it that, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night? Well that's not important right now.
No, I did read though. A lot. Look for my posts and see how many questions I have asked for either of my Phantoms. Never crashed, never had an issue that wasn't easy to correct because I learned by reading. Don't need somebody holding my hand. I am not too proud to ask for help when I can't find it on my own though.

I appreciate those that wrote back with constructive answers. Nvr2fst on the other hand apparently enjoys having a forum to rant and to make assumptions and implications that are baseless

I bought a Turbo Ace 830 some months back with all the upgrades....battery, camera mount, top of the line GoPro, etc. However....I quickly realized after a couple of attempted flights that I was skilled enough to control it.....so I stopped trying. I read good things about the Phantom 2......so I sold the Turbo Ace and a steep loss to help fund this purchase.

I took it out for a test run a few days back...up to 50ft or so, and everything went great......took it out again yesterday....up to 250ft. No problems. Only issue started on the way down when it started circling.

I did google "hovering in circles" or some similar phrase into google.....and only found article about purposely flying in circles.

Also....if you read step ten of the start up guide, it gives no guidance whatsoever on where one should calibrate the compass or that it would ever need to be recalibrated, FYI.

Again...thanks to those who gave constructive feedback. Going to recalibrate outdoor in the field and see if that eliminates my issue

I agree with you, the Quick Start guide doesn't give the appropriate caveats about calibration - the full manual does. I think DJI really ought to put something in the quick start guide to the effect that it should only be used as a crib sheet to help remind you of the pre-flight procedures after you have read and digested the main user manual.

Let us know if your circling is sorted now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers